[comp.sys.next] What dir to use for new software?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/06/90)

Now that abundant free software is becoming available, the question
arises:

where (in the directory tree) to put it?

A natural UNIX place would be /usr/local/bin for binary and /usr/local/src
for source. My concern is this:

When NeXT releases version 2.0
of the system software, I don't want any hassles with
moving/losing/re-making all the stuff I've collected.

Aside from that, I'd like to be consistent with UNIX tradition.
Any comments from the Sys Admin folks out there?

(I have a 330MB hard drive, which will help when its time
to swap system software.)

Thanks,

Barry Merriman

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (06/12/90)

In article <2862@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Now that abundant free software is becoming available, the question
>arises:
>where (in the directory tree) to put it?
>A natural UNIX place would be /usr/local/bin for binary and /usr/local/src
>for source.

We use those for "supported" software (i.e., maintained by the vendor and/or
our staff) and /usr/local/unsp/bin & src for "unsupported."

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (06/12/90)

NeXT suggests to use /LocalAdmin, /LocalApps and /LocalDeveloper
for any new stuff.
Personally, I put most of my programs there following the
/Next...-directory structure as closely as possible. I use
/usr/local/{etc|bin|src|lib|man} for some hacks/programs that don't
have an interface to them.

Axel
-- Axel Merk	                "One needs a certain amount of blindness  --
-- agm@cs.brown.edu              to see perfection" - Christopher Nuzum   --
-- (401) 272 2262 -- Brown University -- Box 53 -- Providence -- RI 02912 --