[comp.sys.next] Problem with dvips3.6 on NeXT.

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/05/90)

Hi,

I noticed that Tom Rokicki's "dvips 3.6" program on NeXT does not handle
"\special{psfile=somefile.eps hscale=....}
command at all.   His same dvips program version 3.6--4.1 on Stardent 1500
works great.   What's wrong on the NeXT machine?   Has anyone had the same
problem?

	Hugh
	song@ardent1.ceg.uiuc.edu

hodges@toaster.SFSU.EDU (John Hodges) (06/12/90)

In article <118400013@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi,
>
>I noticed that Tom Rokicki's "dvips 3.6" program on NeXT does not handle
>"\special{psfile=somefile.eps hscale=....}
>command at all.   His same dvips program version 3.6--4.1 on Stardent 1500
>works great.   What's wrong on the NeXT machine?   Has anyone had the same
>problem?
>
>	Hugh
>	song@ardent1.ceg.uiuc.edu

I have had the same problem for many months.  I have provided Tom with
samples and he "claims" that it works on his machine.  Well, it "works"
on my machine too, until I try to print anything.  One sure way to know
whether the problem is with dvips or the postscript is if lpr works on
the postscript on the NeXT printer.  Since I have no problem with this
and the TeX job runs fine it must be dvips.  Well Tom, when are you
going to fix this so that we can put real pictures into our documents.
I ended up having to cut-and-paste Mac pictures into that manual, thank
you very much.  So much for living in the 20th century!

Jack Hodges, SFSU

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (06/12/90)

In article <691@toaster.SFSU.EDU> hodges@toaster.SFSU.EDU (John Hodges) writes:
>In article <118400013@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>I noticed that Tom Rokicki's "dvips 3.6" program on NeXT does not handle
>>"\special{psfile=somefile.eps hscale=....}
>>command at all. [...]
>
>I have had the same problem for many months. [...]
>
>  Well Tom, when are you
>going to fix this so that we can put real pictures into our documents.
>I ended up having to cut-and-paste Mac pictures into that manual, thank
>you very much.  So much for living in the 20th century!

I recently completed a 216-page doctoral dissertation with 62 figures,
all composed on the NeXT using TeX, Draw, and Rokicki's dvips.
Things go a lot smoother if you use the epsf macros.  Instead of using
\special{psfile=foo.eps hscale=...}, I put ALL of my figures into
Draw (including line-drawings and gray-scale PostScript images), scaled
them to taste, saved as EPS, and use \epsffile{foo.eps} in the LaTeX
document.

In addition, I had to turn off `structured comments' when I printed
the document on our LaserWriter NT (use dvips -N).

IMHO, the NeXT TeX suite is the best-integrated quasi-free TeX
distribution I've ever used (and I've used quite a few).

TTFN--Pat
--
Patrick Flynn, CS, Michigan State University, flynn@cps.msu.edu
(Future Fighting Irishman)