[comp.sys.next] New Digital Libraries/CD-ROM Readers???

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/11/90)

Anyone heard of any companies planning to

(a) Release new additions to the NeXT Digital Library
    (e.g. encyclopedia, atlas, maps, books, back issues of magazines,
     back issues of newspapers, financial databases,
     Science Citation Index, Index Medicus, Engineering
     Abstracts, Math Reviews, etc, etc)

(b) Make a CD-ROM reader for the NeXT

Option (b) seems a bit redundant given the built-in floptical
drive, but at least it would would give us access to to all the
info that should be distributed via (a).

I have heard nothing about (a) or (b). I went to an exclusive presentation
of ``NeXT for the Entertainment Industry'' last week (this is
Los Angeles, after all) and there were about ten 3rd party vendors there
with various business oriented products (Wingz is available now---education
price of $199) but nothing related to (a) or (b).

Also, I have heard GNU has a project to put various great public
domain books online in ASCII form, but it would be much nicer to
have things tailored to the NeXT capabilities and interface.

I really wish someone would start distributing stuff  mentioned
in (a). That is the way to take full advantage of the floptical drive,
and [database on a floptical + Digital Librarian] is just as interesting as
normal software. The capabilities of the floptical drive for
managing digital libraries gives the NeXT an added dimension over
other machines,  but if it is not taken advantage of, it may as
well not exist.

Barry Merriman

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (06/12/90)

In article <2896@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

>Anyone heard of any companies planning to
>
>(a) Release new additions to the NeXT Digital Library
>    (e.g. encyclopedia, atlas, maps, books, back issues of magazines,
>     back issues of newspapers, financial databases,
>     Science Citation Index, Index Medicus, Engineering
>     Abstracts, Math Reviews, etc, etc)
>
>(b) Make a CD-ROM reader for the NeXT

I agree with you on the importance of this. Unfortunately I don't
know of anything definite.  However, I was told by a NeXT rep. that
CD-ROM is definitely in the works, although I wasn't told who was
working on it, or when it would be available.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

morrison@cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (06/13/90)

I have converted the King James version of the bible as it appears in the
simtel archives to RTF format for the digital librarian. If there is interest
it perhaps could be archived here at cs.ubc.ca. It should save others a few
tedious hours of sed/awk/editing.
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=128.189.97.20)
(604) 228-5010