[comp.sys.next] Programmers Mailing List

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (05/25/90)

I would like to start a mailing list for those who are interesed in
programming NextStep. Unfortunately though our mail server is over-
burdened so I don't want to put the extra load of another mailing
list on it.

So, I am hoping that someone out there would like to take up this task
of administering a mailing list. Any takers? Just post a followup article
saying what we should do to sign up. (You can even pick the name for the
list. :-)

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

PS. Do you think there is enough interest so that we could take votes on
starting up comp.sys.next.programmer? It takes 100 more YES votes than NO
votes.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (05/29/90)

/ comp.sys.next / jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) / May 25, 1990 /
> I would like to start a mailing list for those who are interesed in
> programming NextStep.

Could you explain why you find comp.sys.next inadequate for communication
among NextStep programmers?

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM> (05/29/90)

In article <18575@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer)
says:

>I would like to get some heavy discussions going about programming and
>I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
>the general use of the machine. I have lots of questions to ask but
>am waiting for a pure programming audience to come along before I start
>asking them.

I just got a NeXT for my office two weeks ago but I have been
ez-dropping on the conversations in this news group for months
now. I find all information in this news group to be very valuable
and I really enjoy the programming discussions even though I
have just started to dabble in Objective-C. If a specialized mailing
list for NeXT programmers were to be created I would certainly want
to include it in my news reading list, but, I would tend to favor
more programming dialogs in this group instead. A new mailing list
would be another electronic digest to keep up with. This group
isn't really that active (compared to busy groups such as the novell
and XWindows news groups) and I would imagine there would be a lot
of cross postings between this group and any other news group that
would be dedicated to NeXT Computers. For now I'd say send in your
programming questions to comp.sys.next.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (05/29/90)

In article <130071@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>/ comp.sys.next / jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) / May 25, 1990 /
>> I would like to start a mailing list for those who are interesed in
>> programming NextStep.
>Could you explain why you find comp.sys.next inadequate for communication
>among NextStep programmers?

I would like to get some heavy discussions going about programming and
I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
the general use of the machine. I have lots of questions to ask but
am waiting for a pure programming audience to come along before I start
asking them.

There is someone from Kentucky who is willing to start the mailing list
(I don't have his name here) so as soon as he is ready we will see how
much interest there is in the mailing list. I have already received
lots of replies.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (05/29/90)

In article <18575@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.UUCP (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>>Could you explain why you find comp.sys.next inadequate for communication
>>among NextStep programmers?
>
>I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
>the general use of the machine.

Well, you wouldn't annoy me.  What _would_ annoy me is shunting
valuable information off from comp.sys.next.  If anyone starts
complaining we could always start comp.sys.next.programmer, but for
now, I vote for keeping this kind of discussion right here!
---
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK

joeba@lll-lcc.UUCP (Joe Barello) (05/30/90)

Look, comp.sys.next should be a technically oriented conference.  There are
few places to get decent NeXT information these days.  Granted, it is fun to
flame about Mac comparisons and NeXT problems, but PLEASE, note them on this
conference and GET OFF IT!

On the topic of splitting up comp.sys.next:  comp.sys.x has had similar
discussions.  The bottom line was that one conference with a wide range
of interest was the ONLY way to keep X and X support going on USENET.  At
least now comp.sys.next gets some NeXT employees online and a few well
educated NeXT third party developers.  If the conference splits up fewer
people will have all the accessable info coming down comp.sys.next.

Sigh, this means that I will have to still deal with the first problem above.

Joe Barello
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (05/30/90)

In <90148.223926SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM> writes:

>In article <18575@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer)
>says:
>>
>>I would like to get some heavy discussions going about programming and
>>I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
>>the general use of the machine. I have lots of questions to ask but
>>am waiting for a pure programming audience to come along before I start
>>asking them.

<some stuff removed>
>For now I'd say send in your
>programming questions to comp.sys.next.

>Sal.

I agree with Sal. I bought the next to program it. The truly unique thing about
the NeXT is that it's easy (relativly) to write good looking applications with
it. Interface builder and objective-C make this possible.

Most of the postings have been about how to get a NeXT, how NeXTs will/wont/may
be gettable in the near/far/littleBitAhead future. The postings will naturally
turn to programming as people sort out their purchasing decisions.

Aside from the fact that I'm annoyed there hasn't Been Enough About
Programming, most newsreaders (programs or people) are sophisticated enough
to easilly skip uninteresting (to them) stuff.

I subscribed to the mailing lists, cause I want the info, but I too would
prefer to see it on comp.sys.next, where, in my opinion, it belongs.

Dan

--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (05/30/90)

In article <18575@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer)
says:

>I would like to get some heavy discussions going about programming and
>I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
>the general use of the machine. I have lots of questions to ask but
>am waiting for a pure programming audience to come along before I start
>asking them.

I'd hate to see a mailing list, mostly because the response time is a
bit more sluggish and because then we'd all have to keep up with both the
mailing list and the newsgroup.

Besides, no one gets annoyed when the content of a newsgroup is truly
appropriate to the newsgroup, even when the volume is high.

One of the beautiful things about netnews is that just about anybody
can join it at any time, and as more and more NeXT computers sell, more
people will tune in to comp.sys.next, adding to the pool of resources
(and of course, adding to the questions :-)  Also, people often ask the
question that I was just about to ask, and then I can just gleefully
wait for the  cavalcade of answers.

Also, I've never seen a mailing list keep up a pace nearly as good as a
newsgroup, and I am even the moderator of a mailing list right now
(with low volume, alas).

So, Bryce, what about all those questions you were about to ask ?-)

Glenn Reid
glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (06/01/90)

In article <184@news.nd.edu> mahesh@news.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:

>Speaking for myself, newsgroups are infinitely preferable to mailing lists.

THINK folks, USENET is not the answer to everything:

1)	A mailing list wouldn't have dweebs like me posting stuff you're not
	interested in (Glenn's quote, above, is praising low S/N ratio)

2)	Mailing lists have a much faster response than USENET.
	(Witness "sun-managers", and that's a big one.)

3)	Can you say: "Skipping unavailable article" ?
	Mailing lists are MUCH more reliable than USENET.
	I've never seen /usr/spool/mail fill up, our news partition does all
	the time.

4)	While you're on vaction or just to busy too keep up, the articles
	are still waiting in your mailbox, not expiring into gone-forever land.

5)	The members had to at least take the initiative to send a request
	to a list maintainer.  Just this tiny hurtle does wonders for S/N.

Frankly, I don't care if a programming subset splits off or not.  But, if
it does, mailing-list is much superior to usenet-news-group.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu		DoD 000006
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-737-3251

mahesh@news.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (06/01/90)

From article <18653@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU:, by pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill):
: In article <184@news.nd.edu> mahesh@news.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) writes:
:>
:>Speaking for myself, newsgroups are infinitely preferable to mailing lists.
:>
:
:
: THINK folks, USENET is not the answer to everything:
:
: 1)	A mailing list wouldn't have dweebs like me posting stuff you're not
: 	interested in (Glenn's quote, above, is praising low S/N ratio)

Yup.  But when your signal shows up only ever so often, it really
doesn't matter.  I don't mind dweebs (grin) posting when I get only
around a dozen or so articles.

:
: 2)	Mailing lists have a much faster response than USENET.
: 	(Witness "sun-managers", and that's a big one.)

True.  BUT at six "essential" mail lists (including s-m above), I get ways
too many messages in me mailbox.  Sucks little green scalloped potatoes
big time.

:
: 3)	Can you say: "Skipping unavailable article" ?
: 	Mailing lists are MUCH more reliable than USENET.
: 	I've never seen /usr/spool/mail fill up, our news partition does all
: 	the time.

True.  Sad but true.

:
: 4)	While you're on vaction or just to busy too keep up, the articles
: 	are still waiting in your mailbox, not expiring into gone-forever land.

OH - but how I wish they were expired!!  Nothing as daunting as
returning from USENIX -Wash. and finding half a mill. messages
describing various orders of simulated panic.  (I almost deleted
'em all, but wiser(?) counsel prevailed)

:
: 5)	The members had to at least take the initiative to send a request
: 	to a list maintainer.  Just this tiny hurtle does wonders for S/N.

Again true.  Gets rid of aforesaid dweebs (multiple :-)s ).

:
:
: Frankly, I don't care if a programming subset splits off or not.  But, if
: it does, mailing-list is much superior to usenet-news-group.
:

Neither do I, but I definitely don't want YAML (Yet Another Mail...)
filling up me mail box, sure and begorrah.  Have a heart.  If u must
split, I'd infinitely rather have c.s.n.prog.

Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu
Senior Analyst
Office of University Computing        NeXT:     mahesh@numenor.cc.nd.edu
University of Notre Dame              Voice:    (219) 239-5600  x6421
Notre Dame,  IN  46556
address) to:

   next-prog-request@cpac.washington.edu

Submissions (only) should go to:

   next-prog@cpac.washington.edu

I will attempt to acknowledge all requests to add or drop
subscriptions, so if you don't get an acknowledgement within a
day or two, let me know.

Dennis Gentry
(dennis@cs.washington.edu)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (06/05/90)

In article <DENNIS.90Jun5000354@bailey.cpac.washington.edu> dennis@bailey.cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry) writes:
>OK, Bryce.  I'm starting a NeXT programmers mailing list, for
>those who are interested.  It will (at least) initially be
>unmoderated, and subscription will be open to all.  If the list
>turns out to be wildly popular, I may have to move it to another
>machine, ...

I'd like to join, but my emailbox is overflowing already.  I'd
appreciate if the traffic on that mailing list were to be posted here
as well; I'm interested, but I'm not about to join another mailing
list.  This newsgroup is where such discussion belongs.

And what makes you think that a mailing list would get more
programming discussion than this newsgroup?  Anything I'd post to such
a list, I'd also post here, to get at a wider audience.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
... s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

jcz@britten.unx.sas.com (John Carl Zeigler) (06/13/90)

+In article <18575@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.UUCP (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
+>In article <130071@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
+>>/ comp.sys.next / jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) / May 25, 1990 /
+>>> I would like to start a mailing list for those who are interesed in
+>>> programming NextStep.
+>>Could you explain why you find comp.sys.next inadequate for communication
+>>among NextStep programmers?
+>
+>I would like to get some heavy discussions going about programming and
+>I think that might annoy a lot of readers who are interested more in
+...
+>Bryce Jasmer
+>jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

Sounds like a good reason to have comp.sys.next.step?

I for one would love to read such topics, but don't want to crowd
my already full mailbox....

--
--jcz
John Carl Zeigler            SAS Institute Inc.                (919) 677-8000