[comp.sys.next] IBM NextStep

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (02/12/90)

Is NeXTStep inherently wedded to Display PostScript?
I don't see hy it could be put on top another low level imaging model
such as XWindows.  It would take more work because DPS hides pixel/plane/font
machine dependencies.   Then only drawing the contents of the View classes
would change to the underlying imaging model.
I suspect IBM's version may have made this transition.

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (06/29/90)

In article <8392@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
> IBM is claiming delivery for Next Step on the RS/6000 as 4Q90, which,
> with slippage, will probably be early '91

I just asked this question of an RS6000 developers rep here in Denver
and he went and asked the question up on the mountain.  The new word
is end of second quarter '91.  That isn't unreasonable, since if I were
to order and RS6000 right now, with the 52 week ARO lead time I would
get the machine and NeXTStep in the same shipment.

I have some reasons to believe that NeXTStep on AIX is much further
along than that.  In My Arrogant Opinion, IBM is holding the release
of NeXTStep for its own inscrutable reasons.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) (06/29/90)

AIX NextStep delayed to 2Q91 ?   Funny, my IBM rep just said they were moving
up the release to 3Q90 !  Who knows...  AIX PS/2 NextStep is supposed
to be coming Real Soon Now.  When I get it, I will believe it.  And
post about it.  I don't think IBM wants to delay it, though.  They
are betting a lot on the RS/6000.

backlund@sics.se (Bj|rn Backlund) (06/29/90)

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
> ... end of second quarter '91 ...

Yesterday I talked to the product manager for the RS6000
at IBM Sweden and he told me :
1. NextStep is called Graphical User Environment when running on
an IBM
2. They'll start deliver on the 6000 in september THIS YEAR !
3. They'll start deliver on the PS/2 in october, THIS YEAR !!!!
4. The price tag in Sweden is 4060 SEK = 800 US$
5. And that is the same price as for MOTIF !

---BjornB
Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS)
email: backlund@sics.se
Xerox internet: bjornb:dslab:sics