[comp.sys.next] Floppy Drives for NeXT ???

hodges@toaster.SFSU.EDU (John Hodges) (07/01/90)

I desperately need to transfer largish files (300K+) from a home Mac
to an office NeXT.  Phone doesn't make it (going broke).  I seem to
recall that there is a floppy drive out there that does the job for
transferring files to the NeXT, does anyone have information about
that drive (or others) that I could use to remedy my situation?  Thanks
for any assistance.

Jack Hodges, SFSU
hodges@huckleberry.sfsu.edu

fhadsell@csm9a.UUCP ( GP) (07/04/90)

In article <729@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, hodges@toaster.SFSU.EDU (John Hodges) writes:
> I desperately need to transfer largish files (300K+) from a home Mac
> to an office NeXT.  Phone doesn't make it (going broke).  I seem to
> recall that there is a floppy drive out there that does the job for
> transferring files to the NeXT, does anyone have information about
> that drive (or others) that I could use to remedy my situation?  Thanks
> for any assistance.
>
> Jack Hodges, SFSU
> hodges@huckleberry.sfsu.edu

We have had good luck with Dayna's DaynaFile system, unless the NeXT
being used has an accelerator disk; at least this is my impression.

Kathleen Speckhart of Dayna (1-800-531-0600) is investigating this little
problem.

Has anyone else had experience in this regard?

--
 INTERNET:: fhadsell@csm9a.colorado.edu  BITNET:: fhadsell@mines
 Frank Hadsell, Prof. of Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines,

chambers@maple.uhnix1.uh.edu (Charles Chambers) (07/06/90)

>In article <2207@csm9a.UUCP> fhadsell@csm9a.UUCP ( GP) writes:
>   In article <729@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, hodges@toaster.SFSU.EDU (John Hodges) writes:
>   > I desperately need to transfer largish files (300K+) from a home Mac
>   > to an office NeXT.  Phone doesn't make it (going broke).  I seem to
>   > recall that there is a floppy drive out there that does the job for
>   > transferring files to the NeXT, does anyone have information about
>   > that drive (or others) that I could use to remedy my situation?  Thanks
>   > for any assistance.
>   >
>   > Jack Hodges, SFSU
>   > hodges@huckleberry.sfsu.edu
>
>   We have had good luck with Dayna's DaynaFile system, unless the NeXT
>   being used has an accelerator disk; at least this is my impression.
>
>   Kathleen Speckhart of Dayna (1-800-531-0600) is investigating this little
>   problem.
>
>   Has anyone else had experience in this regard?
>
>   --
>    INTERNET:: fhadsell@csm9a.colorado.edu  BITNET:: fhadsell@mines
>    Frank Hadsell, Prof. of Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines,
>    Golden, Colorado   80401     (303) 273-3456
 A couple of notes:

 1. The DaynaFile software that is used with the Next only understands DOS
    formatted diskettes. The transfer file from a MAC to a NeXT using the
    Daynafile of the NeXT end, requires that you format the disk's for DOS
    at the MAC end. Also note that because the Daynafile is a scsi disk
    drive, that it can be used to read/write Unix filesystems as well, but
    uses the NeXT's OS/Mach to do this. Well, the OS does not handle floppies
    with lots of bad blocks, and panic's alot (this is not a function of the
    DaynaFile, but rather a function of the OS).

 2. Since the DaynaFile is a SCSI disk drive, it gets its own scsi device name
    which, if it is the lowest scsi id number is /dev/sd0a. This bumps the
    Accelerator drive device name to /dev/sd1a. To get the rc.swapdisk
    procedure to recoginize the new device name edit /etc/fstab and add
    line:

       /dev/sd1a /private/swapdisk 4.3 rw,noquota,noauto 0 0

    and that should do it.

Charles Chambers       (713)-749-2531
University of Houston  chambers@uh.edu
College of Engineering chambers@uhou.bitnet