[comp.sys.next] sendmail SMTP queries

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/06/90)

I figured out what plagued my mailer"

(1) sendmail is in /usr/lib/sendmail, not etc, so no wonder I got a permission
denied message.

(2) The rule that bothered the mailer was rule S6, which rewrote the address to
be local. One of those special local conversions matched (although I can't find
the definition of token $=m, which would allow me to understand better why this
rule wants to match, and where I would ever want it to match). In any case,
commenting the third rule of ruleset 6 did the trick for me. I hope I didn't
break anything else in the process...

I should highly recommend the book "Unix System Administration Handbook,"
written with emphasis on BSD, by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder and Scott Seabass,
Prentice Hall. It definitely is a big help for adminstrating some of the mail
and network stuff.

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/06/90)

Here I go again with another problem: My NeXT refuses one type of address,

	@agsm.ucla.edu

It accepts the alias (in /etc/hosts and ni) of @agsm. I telneted to SMTP to see
what happens, and got an immediate "User unknown" message when typing this
address. That is, even though it is not my own node, sendmail didn't even
bother checking any outgoing relay hosts, but refused the address as an unknown
local user.

So, for seeing what's going on, my BSD SysAdm book recommends

	sendmail -bt

but even as a superuser I get "permission denied." With all of NeXT's niceties,
it is a real problem for a novice to administer Internet mail. There are a lot
of different files which carry information, and a BSD book may or may not be
correct in where relevant information is and how it is stored.

How can I track why I can't get the above address to work?

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul5.184738.7053@midway.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>So, for seeing what's going on, my BSD SysAdm book recommends
>
>	sendmail -bt
>
>but even as a superuser I get "permission denied." With all of NeXT's niceties,

You may be trying to execute a directory insead of a program (there is
also a directory in /etc called sendmail).  Try it like this:

	/usr/lib/sendmail -bt

This works for me, even as a normal user.  When you use this test mode,
you have to type the address with a colon in it, like

	/usr/lib/sendmail -bt
	ADDRESS TEST MODE
	enter <ruleset> <address>
	> To: foo@bar

Regards,
 Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer