[comp.sys.next] Newsgroup being archived somewhere?

awang@isl.Stanford.EDU (Avery Wang) (07/06/90)

Hello world-

I'm wondering if there is a site that is archiving this newsgroup
somewhere that I can FTP from.  I think j.cc.purdue.edu has been
archiving it, but it seems to have stopped sometime in May.
Are there places that have it up to date?

thanks,
-Avery Wang
awang@isl.stanford.edu

gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit Huizenga) (07/06/90)

In article <123@isl.stanford.edu> awang@isl.Stanford.EDU (Avery Wang)
points out that Gerrit has been sloppy and/or lazy and/or busy lately.
Rrn on my NeXT quit working sometime back and I've been reading news
elsewhere until I find time to look for the problem and as such haven't
kept the archived news up to date.  However, all of the news has been
saved and I've even split things into months again so everything should
be up to date for the moment.  Things are on the email server now and
should rdist to cc.purdue.edu tonight.

On a related note, several people have been asking for an updated,
comprehensive Index file lately.  It's a wonderful idea but I haven't had
the time to do it recently .  If someone wants to donate a more up to
will have to wait until I find a spare evening to re-index.

For newcomers, cc.purdue.edu maintains a set of archives for the NeXT
machine including documentation, patches, porting information,
applications, demos, code samples, archives of this newsgroup,
Buzzings/NeXT User's Journal, the Tao newsletter and goodness knows
what else.  This information is available from either cc.purdue.edu
(128.210.9.2) or nova.cc.purdue.edu (128.210.7.22).  Nova.cc (my
machine) happens to have a couple of the bigger things because space is
a bit tight right now on cc.purdue.edu; however, most things can be
found in both places.

There is also an email server running on nova; send an email message to
archive-server@cc.purdue.edu with a subject of "help" for more
information.

And, as always, keep those submissions flying in.  Please send
submissions to next-archive@cc.purdue.edu; NeXT attachments are
preferred whenever possible.  If your submission is too large for
email, send me a note and we can work out other arrangements (for
instance I can pick things up from cs.orst.edu's submissions
directory).

Oh, and one of the more interesting resources in the archives is the
file ARCHIVES which contains a summary of other archive sites, several
of which hold the sources or binaries to large programs which have been
ported to the NeXT.  If you'd like an archive site of your mentioned in
there, send a note to next-archive@cc.purdue.edu and we'll take care of
it.

gerrit

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (07/06/90)

In article <11946@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit Huizenga) writes:
>On a related note, several people have been asking for an updated,
>comprehensive Index file lately.

What we REALLY need is a way to tie archive servers into the indexing
facilities built into the NeXT.  Then, no one has to build extensive
indices by hand.

Granted, we're talking about some more overhead for the archive machine,
and requiring that the archive machine be a NeXT, but so what?  It would
still be a very useful tool.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner