[comp.sys.next] NFS with OD

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (07/07/90)

I have been trying to export an optical disk directory.  I have no
trouble exporting directory trees to PC-NFS, but if an optical disk
is mounted on the exported tree, it doesn't show up in the directory
as reported by the remote system.

Has anyone seen this problem?  Any suggestions?

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) (07/07/90)

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>I have been trying to export an optical disk directory.  I have no
>trouble exporting directory trees to PC-NFS, but if an optical disk
>is mounted on the exported tree, it doesn't show up in the directory
>as reported by the remote system.

Its not a problem its a feature. The disk is not in the tree because
the disk is NOT in the tree. You need to explicitly export each
filesystem (read "disk"). See the man pages for exportfs and exports
as well as mount for the procedure.

One problem is when you want to remove this disk. Do you want to
explicitly unmount it from each machine? See also autonfsmount which
is known as the automounter on other systems. This may allow you to
set up a flexible means of mounting and exporting ODs on a number of
machines.

Chris

--
"I've got good news. The gum you like is going to come back in style."