[comp.sys.next] link between main menu and module's action method.

kriss@quiche (Christian DUPONT) (07/06/90)

i am writting an App with a module. I included a Subclass of View in the
windown 's class of that module. The module's goal is to create as many windows
 as the user request.
There are buttons in each window instance. I would like to connect those buttons
to actions of the subclass of View discussed above. How can i do that ?
when i connect the buttons to either first responder or File's Owner, none
of the actions appear in the inspector Window.How to get these actions
to be able to link them ?
Another question: is it possible from the menu (main nib file) to run action
methods defined in the module ? how to do it ?
what s the trick ???

Thanx
	Christian.

Ps: Most of the actions (defined in the subclass' module) involved must be start from buttons or from item of the menu.

dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Eric Hammond) (07/10/90)

In article <3654@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> kriss@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Christian DUPONT) writes:
>i am writting an App with a module. I included a Subclass of View in the
>windown 's class of that module. The module's goal is to create as many windows
> as the user request.
>There are buttons in each window instance. I would like to connect those buttons
>to actions of the subclass of View discussed above. How can i do that ?
>when i connect the buttons to either first responder or File's Owner, none
>of the actions appear in the inspector Window.How to get these actions
>to be able to link them ?

the problem here is to use IB one has to be a sub-class of Control.  in my view
this is a flaw.  i solved the proeem using a quasi multipl-inheritance
technique and assigned the target/action under software control.

>Another question: is it possible from the menu (main nib file) to run action
>methods defined in the module ? how to do it ?
>what s the trick ???

yes it is but beware of the following problems:  you can't assigne the
target/action via IB.  again this must be done under software. the menu
targets have to exist, ie they have to be resident when the targets are
assigned.

 dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM   | Dennis P. Glatting
 ..!uunet!tron!kgw2!dennisg |