[comp.sys.next] RISC Coprocessor Boards

ramsdell@linus.mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (07/09/90)

It seems that NeXT is committed to the use of antiquated CPU's.  The
best reason I have heard is that the company cannot afford to support
two platforms which are not binary compatible.  This excuse was stated
by Bruce Henderson in issue 7 of NeXT User's Journal.  While there may
be sound reasons why NeXT cannot provide a RISC CPU, I see no reason
why another vendor could not sell an add-on board which could plug
into one of the extra slots.  This would require the release of the
missing bus chip, but I image the new board could be priced to be
competitive with the `40 upgrade.  I would be happy to run my CPU
intensive computations on say a MC88000 which communicates to the rest
of the system via Mach messages.  Are there any RISC-based
coprocessors on the horizon?

John

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) (07/10/90)

In article <112780@linus.mitre.org> ramsdell@mitre.org writes:
>It seems that NeXT is committed to the use of antiquated CPU's.

	Are CISC's antiquated? I am not an engineer, but I have heard
conflicting stories in the RISC vrs. CISC debate.  A few posts back,
someone said (I'm afraid I forgot who) that the NeXT people furiously
defended CISC processors over RISC.  Are they blind, or are we (the user
public) being blinded by hoopla and hype concerning RISCs?
	For example, people have told me that you cannot compare a RISC
to CISC by comparing MIPS, because of the difference in the two
architectures. Thus, some people I know are prone to saying CISC will
give you such and such Real Mips, while RISC will give you RISC Mips. The
end result is that a RISC chip may have blindingly great MIP stats, but
actually be no faster than a CISC chip rated at half that.
	With the emergence of the 68040, I've heard that they have
preserved an extensive CISC instruction set, while getting many
instructions to execute in one cycle like a RISC.  Current RISC chips may
blow the doors off current CISC chips, but are we reaching a hybrid as in
the 68040? Is the 68040 a come-back for the CISCs? Or has RISC been a lot
of hype and exageration?

Mark Kern

   Mark Edward Kern, mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  A.Online: Markus
      Quagmire Studios U.S.A. "We not only hear you, we feel you !"

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (07/10/90)

/ comp.sys.next / mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) / Jul  9, 1990 /
> 	For example, people have told me that you cannot compare a RISC
> to CISC by comparing MIPS, because of the difference in the two
> architectures. Thus, some people I know are prone to saying CISC will
> give you such and such Real Mips, while RISC will give you RISC Mips. The
> end result is that a RISC chip may have blindingly great MIP stats, but
> actually be no faster than a CISC chip rated at half that.

"1 MIPS" now generally means "the speed of a VAX-11/780".  They run
various benchmarks on the CPU to be rated, then divide the resulting speed
by the speed of that same benchmark on a 780.  This is less meaningless
than just comparing instructions/second of each chip (unless the chips have
the same instruction set).

Of course, one still needs to see if how well the benchmarks correspond to
the use one will put the machine to, and the CPU speed is just one of the
factors that determine the speed of the machine.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages) (07/10/90)

...risc vs. cisc...

Please don't rehash this.

Read the Hennessy/Patterson book "Computer Arch. A Quantiative
                                  Approach"

--
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM
It's Not My Fault   | MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun* khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM

bruce@atncpc.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (07/13/90)

In article <112780@linus.mitre.org>, ramsdell@linus.mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) writes:
> of the system via Mach messages.  Are there any RISC-based
> coprocessors on the horizon?
>
> John
8-)
Yea,