[comp.sys.next] Has anyone compiled new version of rcs on cube?

jpm@lanl.gov (James P Mcgee) (07/12/90)

Has anyone gotten a new version of rcs working
on the cube?  The version that is distributed
with the cube is 3.1 (83/04/04), and won't
handle file names longer than about 16 characters.

I got 4.11 (89/5/1) and installed it on my Sun3
with no problems. It handles long file names
fine.  However, when I tried to
compile it on my cube, I got some compile errors
that I didn't really understand.

Pat McGee, jpm@lanl.gov

In article <56709@lanl.gov> jpm@lanl.gov (James P Mcgee) writes:
>Has anyone gotten a new version of rcs working
>on the cube?  The version that is distributed
>with the cube is 3.1 (83/04/04), and won't
>handle file names longer than about 16 characters.
>
>I got 4.11 (89/5/1) and installed it on my Sun3
>with no problems. It handles long file names
>fine.  However, when I tried to
>compile it on my cube, I got some compile errors
>that I didn't really understand.
>
>Pat McGee, jpm@lanl.gov

I got it running; it was essential for me since all my sources from
Suns & Vaxen were RCS'd with the new stuff. I don't remember it being
very difficult to set up.

Ah. Looking at it, my version just claims to be version 4. I guess
that means 4.0. Last touch on the sources is December 6, 1988. I
didn't change any of the source files. Here's a cc line from the
make output:

cc -O -DV4_2BSD -bsd -DSIGNAL_TYPE=int -DSTRICT_LOCKING=1 -DDIFF='"/bin/diff"' -DCO='"/usr/bin/co"' -DMERGE='"/usr/bin/merge"'

Note that ordinarily signal() is defined as void on the NeXT, but you need the
"-bsd" flag to get a lot of the code compiled, and setting that also gets you
the int definition instead.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

dbrenner@icon.weeg.uiowa.edu (Doug Brenner) (07/15/90)

In article <56709@lanl.gov> jpm@lanl.gov (James P Mcgee) writes:

> Has anyone gotten a new version of rcs working
> on the cube?

It's not too bad to port the RCS version from prep.ai.mit.edu.  Get the
following file first and you should be on your way:

   Site:      cs.orst.edu
   Directory: /pub/next/documents
   File:      rcs.next.tar.Z
--
Doug Brenner, Weeg Computing Center, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
dbrenner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu | dbrennpg@uiamvs.bitnet | 319-335-5444.at&t