[net.auto] Stickers on cars in Europe

gm@trsvax (09/15/85)

I was wondering what the little white, oval stickers are stuck on the
backs of most cars in Europe. They all have a single black letter in the
center which (I guess) shows the country of origin of the car. Some of the
ones I have seen are:

		"D"	Germany
		"GB"	Great Britian
		"G"	Greece
		"F"	France
		"NL"	Netherlands
		"I"	Italy

What is the purpose of these? Are they required by some sort of law in Europe?

						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (09/18/85)

In article <55200213@trsvax> gm@trsvax writes:

>I was wondering what the little white, oval stickers are stuck on the
>backs of most cars in Europe. They all have a single black letter in the
>center which (I guess) shows the country of origin of the car. Some of the
>ones I have seen are:
>What is the purpose of these? Are they required by some sort of law in Europe?

They simply identify the contry of origin; they are not required by
law.  You even see cars with German license plates and a "USA"
sticker.  Here's a partial list:

A	Austria			B	Belgium
CH	Switzerland (?)		D	Germany (Deutschland)
DK	Denmark			F	France
I	Italy			L	Luxembourg
N	Norway			NL	Netherlands
P	Portugal		S	Sweden
SF	Finland (Suomi-Finland) SP	Spain
SU	Soviet Union

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (09/18/85)

> >I was wondering what the little white, oval stickers are stuck on the
> >backs of most cars in Europe. They all have a single black letter in the
> >center which (I guess) shows the country of origin of the car.
>
> They simply identify the contry of origin; they are not required by
> law.  You even see cars with German license plates and a "USA"
> sticker.  Here's a partial list:
>
> SF	Finland (Suomi-Finland) SP	Spain

Spain is designated by E (Espana).  GB (Great Britain) was omitted from the list.

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (09/18/85)

> A	Austria			B	Belgium
> CH	Switzerland (?)		D	Germany (Deutschland)
> DK	Denmark			F	France
> I	Italy			L	Luxembourg
> N	Norway			NL	Netherlands
> P	Portugal		S	Sweden
> SF	Finland (Suomi-Finland) SP	Spain
> SU	Soviet Union
>

> 				   \tom haapanen
> 				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

CH (for Switzerland) stands for Confederation Helvetiaca

Another thing, while A stands for Austria, Austrians refer to Austria
as Oestreich. Funny.

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T  HO 3D-534, (201)949-0366, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp

ask@cbdkc1.UUCP (A.S. Kamlet) (09/19/85)

> They simply identify the contry of origin; they are not required by
> law.  You even see cars with German license plates and a "USA"
> sticker.  Here's a partial list:
>
> A	Austria			B	Belgium
> CH	Switzerland (?)		D	Germany (Deutschland)
> DK	Denmark			F	France
> I	Italy			L	Luxembourg
> N	Norway			NL	Netherlands
> P	Portugal		S	Sweden
> SF	Finland (Suomi-Finland) SP	Spain
> SU	Soviet Union

I thought Spain is (or was) E ?
--
Art Kamlet  AT&T Bell Laboratories  Columbus {ihnp4 | cbosgd}!cbrma!ask

cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson) (09/19/85)

>I was wondering what the little white, oval stickers are stuck on the
>backs of most cars in Europe. They all have a single black letter in the
>center which (I guess) shows the country of origin of the car.

I once saw one of these that had GWB on it.  Any ideas on what that means?

				M Nelson
				ihuxf!cuda
				AT&T Bell Labs

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) (09/19/85)

> >I was wondering what the little white, oval stickers are stuck on the
> >backs of most cars in Europe. They all have a single black letter in the
> >center which (I guess) shows the country of origin of the car.
>
> They simply identify the contry of origin; they are not required by
> law.  You even see cars with German license plates and a "USA"
> sticker.

       As "I" recall, at least in the late sixties and early seventies
these stickers WERE REQUIRED BY LAW. If you were going to be travelling
to another country, a sticker was required to show country of origin.
Also UK vehicles needed headlight converters to throw the low beam to
the right (instead of to the left as is usual in Britain due to driving
on the left hand side).
      In fact it was somewhat of a status symbol to indicate that you'd
"gone abroad".

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (09/20/85)

My 1985 "Touring Club Italiano" (TCI) daily planner lists automobile
nation codes for 121 countries.  Spain is listed as E, which
surprised me, because I thought they had switched to SP long ago.
The TCI doesn't say who determines the codes, but I suspect it is
some international federation, probably the FIA (Federation International
de l'Automobile).  Also, I know by personal experience that you had
to have a sticker with the country code to enter Switzerland: my father
had to buy one six or seven years ago at the border from Italy.

Some sample codes for countries that have not been mentioned yet.

Australia	AUS
Belgium		B
Cuba		C
Canada		CDN
East Germany	DDR
Egypt		ET
Hungary		H
Israel		IL
India		IND
Japan		J
Argentina	RA
Vatican City	SCV
Thailand	T
Turkey		TR
Uruguay		U
USA		USA (what else?)
Zaire		ZR

					Marco Valtorta

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (09/21/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh

In Europe, all cars crossing frontiers (borders) are required to display
a plaque (sticker) showing their country of origin (where registered).

> A	Austria			B	Belgium
> CH	Switzerland    		D	Germany (Deutschland)
> DK	Denmark			F	France
> I	Italy			L	Luxembourg
> N	Norway			NL	Netherlands
> P	Portugal		S	Sweden
> SF	Finland (Suomi-Finland)
> SU	Soviet Union

Others include

AL	Albania			AND	Andorra
BG	Bulgaria		CS	Czechoslovakia
E	Spain			ET	Egypt
FL	Liechtenstein		GB	Great Britain
GBZ	Gibraltar		GR	Greece
IL	Israel			IRL	Ireland (Republic of)
MC	Monaco			PL	Poland
R	Rumania			TR	Turkey
USA	guess			YU	Yugoslavia

This information is supplied by the AAA and is said to be representative
of most cars seen.  I note it doesn't have many overseas countries except
the US.  Perhaps only Americans are dumb enough to take a car over.