[comp.sys.next] Something useful to say?

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (Declan/LZ) (07/19/90)

Pascal Chesnais writes:

>ZZZZzzzzz..... Can we stop this Mac vs NeXT vs Amiga vs IBM crud?
>Anything useful to be said on the subject has been said already.  Look
>at the archives if you want to waste time, but don't rehash the same
>old arguments.  Post only if you have something really new to tell the
>world.

A bit testy, aren't we?  "Anything useful...has been said?"  Maybe there's
nothing left to invent, either.

Well, here are some interesting excerpts...

More Powerful RS/6000s.
Industry research analyst Brian Jeffrey of International
Technology Group predicts that IBM will effectively double
the performance of its RISC workstation line next year.  A
family of more powerful systems as well as advanced low-cost
models are planned to debut next Spring.  The new models
will drop the chip count from nine to five and the price to
as low as $4,000 for a 20 MIPS diskless workstation.
- PC Week 25 June

Legal Clones of Mac ROM Chips.
Asian developers have finally succeeded in reverse
engineering legitimate clones for Macintosh ROMs.  Rumor has
it that Apple may participate in a licensing agreement to
mass market Mac Plus level computers of Far Eastern
manufacture.  - PC Week 9 July

Better Amiga to Macintosh Compatibility.
ReadySoft has announced A-MAX II and A-MAX II Plus for the
Amiga.  The A-MAX II is a software update of the existing
A-MAX.  The new software supports MAC digitized sound, MAC
formatted partitions on Amiga hard drives, and access to MAC
SCSI peripherals (scanners, hard drives, and printers)
through an Amiga SCSI port.  A-MAX II Plus uses the new
software and also offers new hardware.  The board contains
two MAC compatible serial ports and an AppleTalk-compatible
port.  With the A-MAX II Plus, compatibility with MAC modems
and printers is improved, and the Amiga can run MIDI and
networking software permitting Amigas to join LANs along
with (or in place of) Macintoshes.  Prices have not been
announced (A-MAX has a list price of $200).  The A-MAX II
should be available in a few weeks, and the II Plus before
Christmas. - Press Release

Fast Magneto-Optical Drive.
Early next year, Ocean Microsystems expects to ship an
optical-magneto cartridge drive which claims access speeds
comparable to those of most IBM PS/2 hard drives.  The Vista
130 will store 128 Mbytes per cartridge and has an average
access time of 28 milliseconds and a data transfer rate of
512K per second.  The drive will be priced at about $3,000
and cartridges will retail for between $120 and $130 each.
- InfoWorld 16 June

Perhaps a Macintosh emulation card for the NeXT may be on the horizon after
all...

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu

"Windows puts a stake in the heart of OS/2.  I don't see
OS/2 going anywhere." - Sun Microsystems VP Bill Joy