[comp.sys.next] user accounts

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (07/16/90)

Hi, sorry to bother with these dumb questions... I am a not-so-experienced
Unix user and now I am in charge of system administration of my very new
CuBE (Yes! just got mine last Friday!) so here are the questions:

1. How do I set a disk quota limit to the users?
2. How can I keep users from modifying preferences?
3. How do I make a back up of my system/software disk on a Optical disk
   only (well, with 40meg accelerator disk) Cube?
4. Can anyone recommand me any book concerning system administration for
   Unix? Also a book for object-C?

I am sure I will come out with more dumb questions to bother netland, I
sincerely appreciate everyone who helped me, who is helping me, and who
will help me in the future. Thanx for any possible reply.

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul16.010458.24591@eng.umd.edu>, cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
> Hi, sorry to bother with these dumb questions... I am a not-so-experienced
> Unix user and now I am in charge of system administration of my very new
> CuBE (Yes! just got mine last Friday!) so here are the questions:
>
> 1. How do I set a disk quota limit to the users?

The code to check for disk quotas was not compiled into the NeXT's
kernel.  (As a matter of fact, they include no way of compiling the
kernel, a real problem if you ask me.)  Maybe it'll show up in
2.0.

> 2. How can I keep users from modifying preferences?

Take the Set-User-ID bit (SUID) off of Preferences.  The comand to change
it is:  `chmod 555 Preferences` (assuming you are root and you are in
the directory where Preferences is located).  The when a program with
a SUID bit is executed, the user becomes the owner of the program
(temporarily) and inherits all of the priviledges of that user.
Preferences is normally owned by ROOT, so when it is run with a SUID bit,
the user can do things like modify the time and the default boot
device and things like that.  Taking the SUID bit off takes away
that power.

> 4. Can anyone recommand me any book concerning system administration for
>    Unix? Also a book for object-C?

There are a couple of good books out there to help you with administering
UNIX.  Unfortunately, I don't have them here.  I'll try to remember to
post them later...

> I am sure I will come out with more dumb questions to bother netland.

Keep asking the questions.  These were good ones.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
215 Foxfire Dr #308           csh> \(-            murrayp@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (07/20/90)

The book that I was thinking about was "UNIX for Super-Users" by Eric Foxley,
Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company in 1985.  It's about 200 pages
long and is filled with all sorts of neat and useful examples.

Peter
--
Peter Murray	                    215 Foxfire Drive #308, Oxford, Ohio  45056
ACS Consultant                        pemurray@miavx1.[bitnet | acs.muohio.edu]

In article <1818.26a44ba6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>
	pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:

>The code to check for disk quotas was not compiled into the NeXT's
>kernel.

Don't be so sure.  For example, I have the following in (netinfo)
fstab:

futon:/Users /Net nfs ro,bg,soft,net,nosuid,noquota 0 0

If I didn't explicitly specify noquota and futon was down for
some reason (rare, but it happens), there will be a *LONG*
pause when I try to log into ->this<- machine because /bin/login
does a quota check and I'd have to wait for the RPC to time out.
The noquota bypasses this.  (The disk is mounted read-only--
what's the point of checking quotas remotely?)

(If this isn't covered in NextAnswers, it should be.)

					-=EPS=-

davehieb@boulder.Colorado.EDU (David Hieb) (07/20/90)

>>>In article <1990Jul16.010458.24591@eng.umd.edu>
>>>         cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>>>
>>>4. Can anyone recommand me any book concerning system administration for
>>>   Unix? Also a book for object-C?

A great reference on System Administration of UNIX systems (BSD/AT&T) is:
	"UNIX System Administration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder and Seebass.
	Publisher: Prentice Hall

A book that seems quite popular on Objective C is:
	"Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach" by Cox.
	Publisher: Addison Wesley

davehieb...