[comp.sys.next] making emacs the default instead of edit?

stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) (07/20/90)

I have the line (server-start) in my .emacs file, and have aliased the
command "emacs" to "/usr/lib/emacs/etc/emacsclient".  In this way, I
can type "emacs filename" in any shell or terminal window and have an
emacs buffer appear that contains filename.

Now this all works nicely and is, in fact, quite handy.  What I would
really love, though, is to double click on a text file in the
directory browser and have the file appear as an emacs buffer instead
of as a window for the Edit application.

I can do this for *many* (not all) files by using the Unknown application.
For example, I replace lines like this:

h:Edit:

with the corresponding line:

h:Unknown:/usr/lib/emacs/etc/emacsclient %s

I do 'dwrite Unknown Verify No' to suppress the display of the usual
alert box.  Everything works as you would expect.

How, though, can I get files *without* a suffix to appear in the Emacs buffer?

Stuart
--

doug@dept.csci.unt.edu (Douglas Scott) (07/20/90)

In article <STUART.90Jul19135652@previous.ADS.COM> stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) writes:

[Much deleted]

>I can do this for *many* (not all) files by using the Unknown application.
>For example, I replace lines like this:
>
>h:Edit:
>
>with the corresponding line:
>
>h:Unknown:/usr/lib/emacs/etc/emacsclient %s

	How do you create an Application-style process that can be enacted via
	Unknown?  For example, how could I wrap uncompress or tar so that any
	file ending with .Z or .tar would be uncompressed, etc, by being
	doubleclicked?  I seem to recall a posting about this but I could not
	find it in my collection of same.  I know how to use Unknown to set it
	up, but not how to get it to happen.

	Thanks.
Douglas Scott
doug@dept.csci.unt.edu