[comp.sys.next] General feelings about NeXT. Would you buy another?

lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) (07/16/90)

Greetings,

I do not regularly read this news group, but I have become curious
about the NeXT machine.  I am thinking of buying one.

Here's the question.  What do you experienced NeXT users think of the
cube?  Does it perform well?  Is the software stable?  Would you buy
another one if you had the choice?  Also, I am working on my master's
so do I get an educational discount, and if so, is the discount
significant?

I am interested in your personal opinions, because they will influence
by computer purchase.  I am fed up with DOS, love UNIX but cannot buy
a SUN.  Is the NeXT machine for me?

(As an aside, has anyone ported TeX over to NeXT? Or does NeXT make
TeX obsolete?)

--
Gregory B. Lampshire     |    DOMAIN lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com
Western Geophysical      |    UUNET  uunet!airgun!lampshir

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (07/16/90)

Maybe I should have responded by email to this set of novice questions,
but what the hay (what does that mean, anyway?)...

In article <865@airgun.wg.waii.com>, lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b.
lampshire) says:

>Greetings,
>
>I do not regularly read this news group, but I have become curious
>about the NeXT machine.  I am thinking of buying one.
>
>Here's the question.  What do you experienced NeXT users think of the
>cube?  Does it perform well?  Is the software stable?  Would you buy

I've read a lot of differnt comp.sys groups over the years.  I rate
the overall satisfaction of people who post here to be quite high.
I take that to mean that on average people are pretty happy with their
NeXTs.  It is not a speed burner, but to most people it feels
reasonably quick, especially once several applications are launched
so that all you are doing is switching from one to another.

>(As an aside, has anyone ported TeX over to NeXT? Or does NeXT make
>TeX obsolete?)

TeX comes standard with every NeXT.  It has a very nice, well integrated
screen previewer, too.

There is a steep educational discount, but only at participating schools.

hannum@schubert.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) (07/26/90)

In article <865@airgun.wg.waii.com> lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) writes:

   (As an aside, has anyone ported TeX over to NeXT? Or does NeXT make
   TeX obsolete?)

TeX exists on the NeXT already.  It is distributed with the machine.  You
probably just do not have it installed on your system.  (We don't here yet,
BTW.)
--

Virtually,
Charles Martin Hannum		 "Those who say a thing cannot be done should