[comp.sys.next] Where does the mail go???

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) (07/24/90)

Just a simple question...  Where the h### does my NeXT mail go
when it just disappears from my Active.mbox for absolutely no
reason whatsoever???

Oh yea, and why the H### have I had to just sit on my A## waiting
for a simple little System 1.1 update to fix all of the stupid
bugs which sometimes permanently destroy my data?

Oh yea, and why doesn't Franz have any contract of any sort with
NeXT?

Ah the joys of actually using a NeXT instead of talking about it.

--
 ---- \ / ----	  /--------------------------------------------\  James Bennett Saxon
 ----     ----   <---------------------------------------------/  jsaxon@cssun.tamu.edu

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (07/26/90)

In article <6791@helios.TAMU.EDU> jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon)
writes:
> Just a simple question...  Where the h### does my NeXT mail go
> when it just disappears from my Active.mbox for absolutely no
> reason whatsoever???

I was just investigating this on one of the machines we have here.  It
appears that under some conditions the table_of_contents file in your
Active.mbox directory can become corrupted.  To retrieve the missing mail,
I quit Mail, deleted the table of contents and restarted mail.  Mail
automatically rebuilt the table of contents and the missing mail magically
reappeared.

So there seems to be a bug in mail that under some conditions (anyone know
what they are???) the table_of_contents can get corrupted.

----------------------------------
Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.171915.12545@cs.cmu.edu> Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) writes:
>In article <6791@helios.TAMU.EDU> jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon)
>writes:
>> Just a simple question...  Where the h### does my NeXT mail go
>> when it just disappears from my Active.mbox for absolutely no
>> reason whatsoever???
>I was just investigating this on one of the machines we have here.  It
>appears that under some conditions the table_of_contents file in your
>Active.mbox directory can become corrupted.  To retrieve the missing mail,
>I quit Mail, deleted the table of contents and restarted mail.  Mail
>automatically rebuilt the table of contents and the missing mail magically
>reappeared.

Better yet, punt the NeXT Mail.app and use the University of
Washington's MailManager tool (or its novice version EasyMail)
instead.  These programs handle local mail files in both
/usr/spool/mail and mail.txt format as well as remote mailboxes via
the IMAP2 (RFC-1064) protocol.

Unlike Mail.app, MailManager concentrates on giving the user a high
level of functionality ("bells and whistles" if you prefer) and
reliability instead of flashy "chrome" (e.g. the silly low-res bitmaps
of people's faces) that looks neat but isn't really useful.  If you
live in a closed NeXT-only world then Mail.app may be alright, but in
the nitty-gritty world of Internet mail MailManager is the way to go.

They are available for FTP from FTPHOST.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU as
pub/MailManager and pub/EasyMail.

 _____   | ____ ___|___   /__ Mark Crispin, 206 842-2385, R90/6 pilot, DoD#0105
 _|_|_  -|- ||   __|__   /  / 6158 Lariat Loop NE   "Gaijin! Gaijin!"
|_|_|_|  |\-++-  |===|  /  /  Bainbridge Island, WA "Gaijin ha doko ka?"
 --|--  /| ||||  |___|    /\  USA 98110-2098        "Niichan ha gaijin."
  /|\    | |/\| _______  /  \ "Chigau. Gaijin ja nai. Omae ha gaijin darou"
 / | \   | |__|  /   \  /    \"Iie, boku ha nihonjin." "Souka. Yappari gaijin!"
Hee, dakedo UNIX nanka wo tsukatte, umaku ikanaku temo shiranai yo.