[comp.sys.next] Optical Disk Mounting Problem

solovay@cartan.berkeley.edu (Robert M. Solovay) (07/23/90)

Twice when attempting to mount an optical disk I have gotten the
following alert panel:
Alert: An internal error prevents the Workspace manager from
performing the last command (automount not registered).

Each time, rebooting the machine has made the problem go away (but it
has returned at least once.)

When I've tried to mount the disk it's been via the Optical menu in
the Workspace Manager.

Can anyone shed any light on this strange phenomenon? (There was a
power failure (with my NeXT running) about a week ago; I don't know if
that's related.

Robert Solovay
University of California, Berkeley
Department of Mathematics
Berkeley, CA 94720
(415)654-3047
solovay@cartan.berkeley.edu
						As ever,
							Bob Solovay

barry@joshua.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.184956.11831@agate.berkeley.edu> solovay@cartan.berkeley.edu (Robert M. Solovay) writes:
>Twice when attempting to mount an optical disk I have gotten the
>following alert panel:
>Alert: An internal error prevents the Workspace manager from
>performing the last command (automount not registered).
>the Workspace Manager.

This recently happened to me every time I tried to mount
a disk. Also, the drive would spin the disk up, then spin
it back down, sometimes repeatedly. I'd have to go into the rom monitor
to eject the disk.

I had to have the OD drive replaced. The repairman I talked to (at
Businessland) said it was a part failure, and not due to dust, and
that he had done several similar repairs recently.

Barry Merriman

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul22.184956.11831@agate.berkeley.edu> solovay@cartan.berkeley.edu (Robert M. Solovay) writes:
>Alert: An internal error prevents the Workspace manager from
>performing the last command (automount not registered).

Something or somebody killed the automounter.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu		DoD 000006
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-737-3251