[comp.sys.next] Can You Use NeXT Laser Printer On A PC?

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (07/22/90)

Is it possible to use a NeXT laser printer on an IBM MS-DOS machine?
What kinds of physical connections does it allow for?  In terms of
software compatibility with other Postscript-based printers, is the
fact that there are no NeXT print drivers for most MS-DOS applications
going to cause a problem, or does the NeXT printer emulate something
standard like the Apple LaserWriter?  It's a shame if NeXT didn't
anticipate the need for their laser printer to be used outside of the
NeXT world; as far as I can tell it's the only 400 dpi postscript
laser around at anywhere near a reasonable price.

Please respond to me directly as well as the newsgroup as I do not
read this group often.

Thanks,
Will Estes        (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (07/22/90)

Thanks to everyone for the (overwhelming) quick and thorough response
to my inquiry about using a NeXT on a PC.  Please don't send any more
notes...I've got the picture!

Thanks,
Will Estes        (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)

hannum@handel.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) (07/29/90)

Not bloody likely, unless you have a PostScript *interpreter* on your PC.
The NeXT Laser Printer is stupid.  All the PostScript in handled by the
windowserver and bit-blasted to the printer.
--

Virtually,
Charles Martin Hannum		 "Those who say a thing cannot be done should

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.230052.14989@acc.stolaf.edu> hannum@handel.psu.edu
(Charles Hannum) writes:
>Not ... likely, unless you have a PostScript *interpreter* on your PC.
>The NeXT Laser Printer is stupid.  All the PostScript in handled by the
>windowserver and bit-blasted to the printer.

IBM is taking orders for NeXTStep on the PS/2 Model 70 or 80, for delivery
September 28, 1990 (but don't hold your breath).  Since this is the real
NeXTStep licensed from NeXT, coupled with Display PostScript licensed from
Adobe, the only remaining piece would be a PS/2 hardware interface to the
NeXT laser printer.  Maybe some third-party will come up with it.

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

kono@csl.sony.co.jp (Shinji Kono) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.230052.14989@acc.stolaf.edu>  , hannum@handel.psu.edu (Charles Hannum)writes
> Not bloody likely, unless you have a PostScript *interpreter* on your PC.
> The NeXT Laser Printer is stupid.  All the PostScript in handled by the
> windowserver and bit-blasted to the printer.

Ya, Printer itself is stupid, but sure, you have NeXT. Why not use
network and lpd? Only you have to write tiny PostScritpt generator.
IBM-PC is too sutpid to run PostScript interpreter, but NeXT is not.
--------
Shinji Kono
$B2OLn??<#(J Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.: kono@csl.sony.co.jp