[comp.sys.next] Stupid Question about 'PostMaster' software...

gillett@ceomax..dec.com (Christopher Gillett) (07/30/90)

I've heard from several people that there is a really slick mail processing
package available for the NeXT machine called "PostMaster".  Further, this
package is supposed to be available from those fine folks at BusinessLand.
So, I dropped into every BusinessLand in the Boston/MetroWest area and
inquired about this package.  Everyone there gave me these funny, demented
looks, and mumbled something about how they didn't know about the NeXT but
they could order software for it, but that they never heard of PostMaster.

So, NeXT people, tell me...does this software exist?  If so, how can I get
a copy?  How much does it cost?

Flame On.....
And why don't those BusinessLand people understand how nifty, neat,
and cool the NeXT really is?
.....Flame Off.

Thanks!
/Chris

P.S.  All the standard disclaimers apply.  These opinions are just my own
      ravings and don't have anything to do with the official opininions
      of Digital Equipment Corporation.

---
Christopher Gillett               gillett@ceomax.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation     {decwrl,decpa}!ceomax.dec.com!gillett
Hudson, Taxachusetts              (508) 568-7172

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (07/31/90)

> Flame On.....
> And why don't those BusinessLand people understand how nifty, neat,
> and cool the NeXT really is?
> .....Flame Off.

I love it when you can hear them flipping through their price sheets over
the phone. It really is amasing that with all the computer equipment in
a computer that no one knows how to use one. I think that computer stores
will become vast expances of computers in a lot. A guy in a checked suit
will lure you into a trailer parked in the middle and talk financing with
you.
Well, I heard that at least with a car dealer you know when your being
lied to.

|Matt Mashyna        | "That is the most obscene abomination of a song...   |
|mm5l@andrew.cmu.edu | that is dirt, that is filth, that is trash. What     |
|Carnegie Mellon     | possessed you to write such a disgusting, degenerate |
|   Every day is     | type song as this ? ... And I'm complementing you by |
|         Earth Day. | considering it a song." - a critic                   |

gillett@ceomax..dec.com (Christopher Gillett) (08/01/90)

In article <kahNMOy00WB_0gAngE@andrew.cmu.edu> mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) writes:
>> Flame On.....
>> And why don't those BusinessLand people understand how nifty, neat,
>> and cool the NeXT really is?
>> .....Flame Off.
>
>I love it when you can hear them flipping through their price sheets over
>the phone. It really is amasing that with all the computer equipment in
>a computer that no one knows how to use one.

Yup, that always struck me as a little strange.  What I thought was bizarre
was going into one of these stores, seeing a complete NeXT outfit (machine,
laser printer, etc) sitting *turned off* and then being told that I couldn't
boot it up because "nobody here knows anything about it".  If I were a computer
store owner, I'd have the thing right up front by the windows running cool
software, playing music, singing, etc.  If nothing else, the NeXT is the
most radical looking machine in the place.

The sad thing about it, of course, is that the machine will never gain the
acceptance that it deserves because nobody knows how to market it.  These
guys should have taken a lesson from the Commodore Amiga people (who have,
arguably, the most- or second-most cool machine around).  Those who don't
understand history are doomed to repeat it.....

So, what about this PostMaster software?  I still haven't heard anything
about it.  Anybody know anything about it?

#include <standard_disclaimers>

/Chris

---

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/01/90)

In article <436@e2big.mko.dec.com> gillett@ceomax.dec.com (Christopher Gillett) writes:

>So, what about this PostMaster software?  I still haven't heard anything
>about it.  Anybody know anything about it?

PostMaster is a program that I wrote, but haven't quite finished.  It
is very usable by moderately UNIX-tolerant people, but not quite bullet-
proof enough for the "mere mortal".  For example, you still have to edit
the /etc/ttys file by hand if you want your modem to auto-answer.

PostMaster sets up and administers UUCP connections over a modem from
a NeXT computer.  It has a full NeXTStep interface and is pretty easy to
use, and doesn't require much knowledge of UUCP to get it to work.  It works
best with Telebit modems, but will also work with Hayes-compatible modems
and perhaps others.

UUCP is the strange protocol that UNIX computers use to send each other
mail and Usenet over modems, for those of you who were wondering.

When I finish the other product that I'm working on, I'll finish up
PostMaster and make it available, too.

I hope that helps.  Send me mail for more details or if you have
questions.

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer