[net.auto] Information reagarding YUGO

divy@sbcs.UUCP (Divyakant Agrawal) (09/19/85)

	I am thinking of buying the Yugoslavian car YUGO. I will be
	grateful if the readers of this group can warn / encourage about
	this car. I have been told that this car is being marketed(sp) in
	England for almost two years now and has received good reviews from
	the auto critics.

	Also if you can direct me to any magazine/ article that has the review
	of this car, it will be greatly appreciated.

	The only information I can provide to the net is this: the dealer in
	Long Island is charging  approx $5000 (base price $3990), and if you
	book it today you can hope to get it by Feb 86. (There are no options
	included with the car - ie no a/c, no radio etc.)

Divyakant Agrawal.--
			uucp:  {allegra,hocsd,philabs,ogcvax}!sbcs!divy
			arpa:  divy%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
			CSNet: divy@sbcs.csnet

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/20/85)

In article <462@sbcs.UUCP> divy@sbcs.UUCP (Divyakant Agrawal) writes:

>	I am thinking of buying the Yugoslavian car YUGO. I will be
>	grateful if the readers of this group can warn / encourage about
>	this car. I have been told that this car is being marketed(sp) in
>	England for almost two years now and has received good reviews from
>	the auto critics.

I've heard that it is *very* slow - 0-50 in about 19 seconds.  That's
comparable to a mid-60's VW Beetle (no great surprise since the Yugo's engine
is only 1100 cc) - not something I'd care to take on Route 128 every day.

I've also heard that it is basically a late-60's Fiat design, although the
person who told me that may have been thinking of the Lada.

>	The only information I can provide to the net is this: the dealer in
>	Long Island is charging  approx $5000 (base price $3990), and if you
>	book it today you can hope to get it by Feb 86. (There are no options
>	included with the car - ie no a/c, no radio etc.)

SHPX THAT!  The only appealing feature of the Yugo is its price - and when
the dealers are talking $5K for it, FORGET IT!  For only about $500 more, you
could get a Dodge Colt E, Ford Escort (especially a leftover) or even (gag)
a Chevette, all of which (even the latter) are far more modern designs than
the Yugo and are far more suited for U.S. driving conditions!  Not only that,
but you wouldn't be waiting 5+ months for one!

AWR

P.S.: The Yugo is imported by Malcolm Brickin, whose previous forays into
the auto industry (Subaru 360, Bricklin) have not exactly been resounding
successes...

lsm@aluxp.UUCP (larry m. ) (09/23/85)

> 	I am thinking of buying the Yugoslavian car YUGO. I will be
> 	grateful if the readers of this group can warn / encourage about
> 	this car. I have been told that this car is being marketed(sp) in
> 	England for almost two years now and has received good reviews from
> 	the auto critics.
>
> 	Also if you can direct me to any magazine/ article that has the review
> 	of this car, it will be greatly appreciated.
>
> 	The only information I can provide to the net is this: the dealer in
> 	Long Island is charging  approx $5000 (base price $3990), and if you
> 	book it today you can hope to get it by Feb 86. (There are no options
> 	included with the car - ie no a/c, no radio etc.)
>

> Divyakant Agrawal.--
> 			uucp:  {allegra,hocsd,philabs,ogcvax}!sbcs!divy
> 			arpa:  divy%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> 			CSNet: divy@sbcs.csnet

                         Don't.

                                        larry m. at&t - ts - allentown, pa

rosen@gypsy.UUCP (09/24/85)

> 	The only information I can provide to the net is this: the dealer in
> 	Long Island is charging  approx $5000 (base price $3990), and if you
> 	book it today you can hope to get it by Feb 86. (There are no options
> 	included with the car - ie no a/c, no radio etc.)

Hmmm, this is very interesting and not at all surprising.  I read in several
papers that the car is very hard to come buy.  One dealer in the
Philadelphia area said that he is selling every one that he gets and that he
currently had over 100 deposits for the car even though he has none on his
lot. He keeps one car as a demo and the rest leave his lot as soon as they
come in.  He said he doesn't expect to have any extra cars on his lot for a
few months.  Needless to say, people feel this car is a good value and I've
heard nothing bad about the reliability of the car, but then it is kind of
earily to tell.

The real interesting thing here is the law of supply vs. demand at work.
The really attractive part about the car is the price and it is attractive
to those who want pure transportation.  But here's the kicker... Malcolm
Brickland, who is the importer of the car, has vowed to keep the price of
the car at $3990.  In fact, he claimed that he would cut off supplies of the
car to dealers who did not adhere to this requirement.  I really don't know
if he can control the law of suppy and demand, I bet dealers will try to
jack up the price of the car real soon (it's instictive of car dealers to be
greedy).

I don't understand your $5000 price, is that including a bunch of extra
stuff that you didn't mention?  If it isn't then this dealer is already
jacking up the price.  I know that there is a more expensive model coming,
but that is not yet available.  You may want to clarify this since I may be
misinterpreting your price quote.  You mention $3990 base price, did you
mean list price?  If he is charging over $3990 for the car, then you may be
able to scare him by threatening to contact Malcolm Brickland Enterprises
(or whatever he calls himself), but I don't think that it will do much good.

Steve Rosen
rosen@siemens