[comp.sys.next] NetInfo Probelm

davidp@skat.usc.edu (David Peterson) (08/02/90)

Hello again,
	My posting last night may have been a bit premature. After
closer inspection it turns out that nibindd is what is giving me
trouble when I start up and then I get the question for a NetInfo
parent.
	After continuing with the boot I checked the procceses running
and found out that nibindd is running, but there are no netinfod's
running. I have an OD that has a working NetInfo parent configuration
and it shows nibind and two netinfod's running; one as local and the
other as network (shows up as /usr/etc/netinfod local, and
/usr/etc/netinfo network).
	The crash that precursed all this happened when I tried to get
into PrintManager to configure a new printer. The application started
then I got a nasty crash (little repetitive patterns all over the
screen and _evertying_ was froze). Could this have possibly corrupted
the network nidb and if so is there some way it can be recovered?

Thanks again,
-dave.

john@math.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (08/05/90)

davidp@skat.usc.edu (David Peterson) writes:

>Hello again,

Hello.

>                               Could this have possibly corrupted
>the network nidb and if so is there some way it can be recovered?

Well, yes, possibly, it could have.  My netinfo has been corrupted a few
times myself, but never in the way yours seems to have bee (complete
lockup, etc)...Well, one way that MIGHT work (no guarantees on ANY of
this message)...is to kick into NetinfoManager (/NextAdmin) and look around
for anything that looks screwy.  Most likely, if one part is screwed,
most everything else will be, too (if my understanding of Netinfo
isn't way off).  Um, you can from there delete most anything that is
screwed by hand.  I know this is tedious, and there probably is a
better way, but I cannot think of one off the top of my head.

>Thanks again,
>-dave.

I hope it helps.

							john
--
|  John R. Schutz                  | Internet: john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |
|  Center for Space Research	   | NeXTmail: ditto			    |