[comp.sys.next] UUCP woes

penrose@esosun.UUCP (Christopher Penrose) (08/09/90)

I have a cube (8meg+330+od) that I wish to link to a sun 3/260 via
UUCP.  I have added this system to L.sys:

Ucalamity Any;5 ACU 2400 5551212 \
	"" \r ogin:~3-\b-ogin:~5 Ucalamity ssword:~3 tunafish

and added an account:

Ucalamity::5:4:distant system:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

added an entry to L-devices:

ACU cua unused 2400 hayestone2400

I have used tip with the cua dialing device to successfully reach this
system.  However, uucico won't even pick up the phone;  I try:

uucico -r1 -x4 -scalamity

I get:

uucp calamity (8/7-18:19-2762) DEBUG (Local Enabled)
finds (calamity) called
uucp calamity (8/7-18:19-2762) FAILED (call to calamity )

Any success stories with UUCP will be gladly heard.  Thanks.

Christopher Penrose
penrose@esosun.css.gov

moose@svc.portal.com (08/10/90)

In article <567@esosun.UUCP> penrose@esosun.css.gov.UUCP (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>I have a cube (8meg+330+od) that I wish to link to a sun 3/260 via
>UUCP.  I have added this system to L.sys:
>
>Ucalamity Any;5 ACU 2400 5551212 \
>	"" \r ogin:~3-\b-ogin:~5 Ucalamity ssword:~3 tunafish

You added this to which machine?

>and added an account:
>
>Ucalamity::5:4:distant system:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

You added this to which machine?  And you have no password, though you claim
to in your L.sys

>added an entry to L-devices:
>
>ACU cua unused 2400 hayestone2400

I believe that uucp will look for the first 2400 baud ACU, so you probably
still have in there the direct.  You need to replace that one.

>I have used tip with the cua dialing device to successfully reach this
>system.  However, uucico won't even pick up the phone;  I try:

Here, though, I think we are at the real problem.  I am assuming you are
attempting to call you NeXT and it won't answer.  You need to modify your
/etc/tty file to tell the computer to answer the modem and run a getty.  The
getty will ask for a name and passord (uucp tunafish), and then run whatever
shell is in the account (/usr/lib/uucp/uucico).

>uucico -r1 -x4 -scalamity

Uh, you said your system name was Ucalamity, now you are claiming it is
calamity.  In your L.sys file, you most likely want to change the Ucalamity
to calamity.  But before I get into that, tell me if calamity is the sun.

Michael Rutman
Cubist
Software Ventures
#include <std.discl>