[comp.sys.next] App Icon in IB

u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) (08/09/90)

I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.  I tried
moving it to my Apps directory and selecting Utilities/Find Applications from
the Workspace menu, but it still gave me the generic application icon.  What
am I doing wrong?

Scott Greenman
Univ of Utah
Coll of Nursing

u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) (08/09/90)

Thanks to all those who answered my question, which was essentially this:

I set the application icon in IB, but I still get a generic icon on the app,
even after I put it in my Apps dir and do Find Application.

The problem appears to be that the icon was saved without the alpha channel.
I resaved it with alpha, and it worked okay.  So in summary, your icon must
be:

 - 48 x 48 pixels
 - saved WITH alpha
 - If the above two are correct, the TIFF file will be 1292 bytes.

Now, for another question.  My Application icon works, but the savefile icon
doesn't.  Now, since my application is not fully operational yet, it doesn't
make savefiles.  I am under the impression, though that if I rename any file
with the correct extension, it should have the save file icon.  I tried
with a Edit file, but it shows up with the Generic Document icon.  I checked
the save file icon, and it is saved with alpha.  Any ideas on this?

Scott Greenman
Univ of Utah

combs@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Dave Combs) (08/09/90)

Scott Greenman (u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu) writes
>I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
>Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
>to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.  I tried
>moving it to my Apps directory and selecting Utilities/Find Applications from
>the Workspace menu, but it still gave me the generic application icon.  What
>am I doing wrong?

Does the application icon have alpha?  I had saved a non-alpha icon for
an application icon of mine, and it refused to show it to me until I
saved it with alpha.  Until I did, I always got the generic application
icon.

Anyone else have this behavior?

Cheers,
Dave  (combs@sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug8.184457.20145@hellgate.utah.edu> u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) writes:
>I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
>Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
>to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.  I tried
>moving it to my Apps directory and selecting Utilities/Find Applications from
>the Workspace menu, but it still gave me the generic application icon.  What
>am I doing wrong?

I've had this same problem ever since I began using IB.  At first I
thought I must be doing something wrong.  But then I showed the problem
to a technical rep from NeXT and after several attempts even HE was
unable to get an application icon on my machine.  When he moved the
entire IB project to his machine and tried it, it worked.  He was unable
to determine what the problem was on my machine, and I'm still stuck
with it.  One suggestion was that my icon might exceed the 48 X 48
maximum size for application icons.  But the problem persists even with
icons well under 48 X 48.

When I download applications off the archives, put them in my Apps
directory and do the Find Applications, I get the application icon
without any problem.  There is only a problem with apps that I have
created in IB on my own machine.  I'm running the original 1.0 OS, but
if this were a bug I would have expected a whole chorus of complaints by
now.  Does anyone have any idea of what's going on here?

>Scott Greenman
>Univ of Utah
>Coll of Nursing

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

engstrom@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Eric D. Engstrom) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug8.184457.20145@hellgate.utah.edu> u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) writes:

>  I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
>  Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
>  to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.  I tried
>  moving it to my Apps directory and selecting Utilities/Find Applications from
>  the Workspace menu, but it still gave me the generic application icon.  What
>  am I doing wrong?

  Your attempt is close, but you don't MOVE the application into your ~/apps
directory, you must install it.  To do this, change (if needed) the install
directory in IB (under project inspctr) to be the directory you wish.  Then,
from a shell in your project directory, issue the following command:
      make -install

Then do a Find Applications from the Utilities menu.  The app in the directory
you specified should now have the icon set.

  As I don't regularly work on NeXTs anymore (but wish I did), I don't promise
that all the info is completely accurate, but the general solution is!

 ,---------------------------------------------------+---------------------.
 | Eric D. Engstrom, Research Scientist              | [Profanity is the   |
 |  Internet: engstrom@src.honeywell.com             |   one language all  |
 |      UUCP: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!engstrom    |   programmers know  |
 |    USnail: Honeywell Systems and Research Center  |   best!]  - ?       |
 |            3660 Technology Drive          ,-------+---------------------|
 |            Minneapolis, MN 55418	     | Disclaimer:                 |
 |     Phone: (612) 782-7318		     |   Mine!  MINE!  ALL MINE!!! |
 `-------------------------------------------+-----------------------------'

 ,---------------------------------------------------+---------------------.

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Shipley) (08/10/90)

>I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
>Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
>to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.

I've had this problem as well, with News.  I eventually solved it by
deleting my .iconheader, and makefile, and then specifically having
IB make me new ones (through the project panel).

I have no idea if this is a general solution, or even if this is what
solved it, but it seemed to work for me.

-wil

whelan@donald.wslab.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.161335.17946@sjuphil.uucp> dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
=>In article <1990Aug8.184457.20145@hellgate.utah.edu> u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) writes:
=>>I am designing an Application in IB, and I set the Application Icon in the
=>>Project inspector.  The icon shows up on the inspector, but I can't get it
=>>to show up as the application Icon when I make the application.  I tried
=>>moving it to my Apps directory and selecting Utilities/Find Applications from
=>>the Workspace menu, but it still gave me the generic application icon.  What
=>>am I doing wrong?
=>
=>When I download applications off the archives, put them in my Apps
=>directory and do the Find Applications, I get the application icon
=>without any problem.

	I think the same problem has occurred to me when ftping applications
that are single files and have only been compressed (i.e. are _not_ .tar
files).  I specifically remember it occuring when I checked out Altdock 1.0
and Altdock 2.0 from j.cc.purdue.edu.  The problem seemed to spontaneously
go away within a week of installing the applications (i.e., one day
I logged in and the correct icon showed up in the browser).
whelan@  (uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu || uhccux.BITNET || nextsrv.uhcc.hawaii.edu)

IO92080@MAINE.BITNET (Steven A. Nickerson) (08/10/90)

Yes, I got the same behavior, and thanks to Scott Hess I found out
why my icon would not show up.   I don't know why that is the case,
maybe Scott can enlighten us on what exactly ALPHA means and why it
is important to icons (or maybe someone besides Scott can!).
S.A. Nickerson

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (08/10/90)

Question: Does the App have to be in the Apps directory and do I have to do a
find Applications from the Workspace Manager?
Question 2: Somebody said something about make -install. What does this do?

Eric

cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu (NeXT mail)                "Put a stamp on it."
cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu                                  -Fab 5 Freddy