[comp.sys.next] Mouting OD on PC-NFS?

murli@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu (murli-ramakrishnan-ISE-272-90-2726) (08/07/90)

HI Netters,
     I remember seeing discussion on mounting a OD and it's non-visibility on PC-NFS.
   I exported my / directory to all the machines in the network, but it does'nt show up on PC-Nfs, I even tried exporting the directory on which the OD was supposed to be mounted , but it still does'nt show up.

This is how my /etc/exports looks
/ -access=bobcat:dolphins:parity:byte

Thanks in advance
Murli Ram
Ohio University

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (08/14/90)

In article <1671@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, murli@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu (murli-ramakrishnan-ISE-272-90-2726) writes:
>      I remember seeing discussion on mounting a OD and it's non-visibility on PC-NFS.
> This is how my /etc/exports looks
> / -access=bobcat:dolphins:parity:byte

I have had success mounting the OD for use with PC-NFS.  Its pretty easy,
but you can't do it from the /etc/exports file.  NFS has to have a legal
mount point before it can export the file system.  The OD must be mounted
before the exportfs command is executed.  Here's how.

1.) login as root.
2.) mount the OD (suppose the OD is named OD-bodkins)
3.) export the filesystem to NFS: exportfs -iv /OD-bodkins
4.) now you can logout as root.  The optical is mounted and available from
    the pcnfs machines.  You will have to run nfsconf on your pcnfs machine
    to mount the drive.
5.) when you are finished with the OD you will have to repeat the process.
    login as root, unexport the file system (exportfs -u /OD-bodkins),
    unmount the OD.

I have had good success backing up our small network of pc's to OD with
this method.  It has the advantage of being very accessible on a file level.
I have found that the OD does have some problems that the hard disk doesn't
when mounted for PCNFS.  Sometimes msdos will timeout waiting for access
of the optical.  You get the familiar abort/retry/ignore message and if
you retry, things proceed just fine.  If I try to xcopy 100MB onto an optical
I will get the timeout two or three times.  In single file usage it doesn't
seem to show up at all.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #