[comp.sys.next] Future NeXT Rumors

declan@portia.stanford.edu (Declan McCullagh) (08/16/90)

In an earlier message, Ross Cutler posts:

>Hello netland...Has anyone else read the bit in PC-Week a couple of
>weeks ago about the next NeXT?  I saw a message about that time in
>this group asking the same question I am now, but I saw no reply/summary.
>
>I particular, I'm interested in the $5000 monochrome unit they mentioned;
>supposedly, it will have a 100 MB HD, 2.88 floppy, 68040, and cased in
>a pizza-box style case.  Can anyone verify these rumors?  Can anyone
>elaborate on the specs (e.g. does it have the DSP)?  Will the student
>price be less?
>
>Thanks in advance...

The problem (as I see it) with rumors like this is that anyone who actually
knows anything concrete about a future NeXT product has already signed a
nondisclosure agreement or something similar.  The people who aren't
"in the know" about a future product are free to speculate, but often are
more than slightly incorrect...

My own reaction to that rumor is: there's a reasonable chance that it
may be true.  $5,000 for such a system is a *very* competitive price,
but the 68040 chip itself costs considerably more than the 68030 and
may drive the price up a few hundred dollars to $5,400 or so.  In any
case, producing a system this powerful for such a good price is
something that NeXT should *want* to do - even if there are differing
factions within NeXT that have divergent opinions as to what is a
"good price."

From what I understand of NeXT's philosophy, I would expect them to
include a DSP chip in even a supposedly "low-end" NeXT configuration.
After all, what's the purpose of raising the "least common computing
denominator" if you suddenly lower it again?  Besides, the 56001 isn't
very expensive in the kinds of quantities that NeXT would buy it in.

A different case design might help sales considerably.  First, the
1'x1' cube is a bit heavy to carry around, especially with two
full-height mass storage devices inside -- a lighter case might be
nicer in some environments.  Second, it would presumably be cheaper
for NeXT to manufacture.  Third, it would look a bit like the (very
well-received) SPARCStation, and be priced similarly.  Fourth, it
would be physically easier for colleges and universities to fit into
their computer labs.  Finally, it would announce that "NeXT has a new
product," and direct the media's attention to the company.

Since that kind of system for anywhere near $5,000 is such a good
price, I'd guess that $5k would be the academic/developer cost, with
Businessland prices a bit higher.  After all, NeXT has to make money
somewhere, too - even if their margins aren't anywhere near as high as
Apple's...

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (08/16/90)

Ross Cutler posts:

declan@portia.stanford.edu (Declan McCullagh) writes:
>The problem (as I see it) with rumors like this is that anyone who actually
>knows anything concrete about a future NeXT product has already signed a
>nondisclosure agreement or something similar.  The people who aren't
>"in the know" about a future product are free to speculate, but often are
>more than slightly incorrect...
[...much speculation (albeit intelligent) deleted...]

Don't be so sure that the article in PC Week is 100% correct.

The following article was posted on comp.arch a little while ago.

If this is true, then peter is probably stretching the limits on non-disclosure.

Don't know what rumor to believe anymore....	;-)

Rick Fanta	PAR Technologies

############################### Cut here ######################################

From: peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,
Subject: 68040 alive? was: Re: Moto's data predicts 68040 . . .)
Date: 17 Jul 90 22:16:33 GMT

In article <31821@cup.portal.com>, mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:
> Speaking of 68040 performance, has anyone on the net actually seen one
> running?  I'm trying to collect some data on the current status of the
> chip.

Yup. I have been non-disclosed on the new NeXT product line
and thus was allowed to see their new colour machine when
I was in California in June. It was running a beta version
of their 2.0 release of NeXTstep and has a separate board
to do colour (I can say this as I've read this elsewhere,
I'm not giving out any big secrets). There 68040 upgrade
(already announced) should be shipping as soon as chips
come in quantity.

I did not have the chance to do anything like
benchmarking and it was a little difficult to assess
performance with so many changes (colour, 68040, beta
software, etc) but there was no question that it's faster
than a 68030 NeXT (!) :-) I have the quoted numbers from NeXT, but
I suspect I'm on thin ice here so will hold my tongue. You
should have numbers within a month or two...

I understand NeXT is just about ready to start the
production line on their 68040 products, and are waiting
for 68040's in quantity for Motorola. Expect announcements
at the end of the summer, machines soon after, if all goes
well (and I hope it does, as we plan to buy a passle of
these things, and I'm in the ring if they are very late
with all of this! :-0

				- peterd