[comp.sys.next] Backups to Optical Disk

dick@cca.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (08/17/90)

There was some confusion about how to backup a SCSI drive to
optical disks a year ago, and I'm still confused.  Are there
folks who do that regularly?  What do you do?  All hints will
be appreciated.

Dick

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/17/90)

In article <3105@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> dick@ccnext.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) writes:
>There was some confusion about how to backup a SCSI drive to
>optical disks a year ago, and I'm still confused.  Are there
>folks who do that regularly?  What do you do?  All hints will
>be appreciated.

I do this regularly with the 'rdist' program, with the following as my
'distfile' in my home directory, and with the optical disk being named
'BackupOne' (you just type 'rdist' at the shell):

#
# distfile
#
# This backs up my home directory and a few system directories
# onto an optical disk.  Make sure "localhost" is in the file
# /etc/hosts.equiv (and perhaps also the name of your machine).

MAINHOST = ( localhost )

# MYFILES is relative to current directory (which is home directory)
MYFILES =  ( * )
SYSFILES = ( /LocalLibrary /LocalApps )
OPTICALDISK = ( Backup* OpticalDisk )

# try not to back up these files:
MISCFILES = ( .places */.places */*.places */*/*.places )

# here's where the work actually gets done.  kind of user-specific,
# but edit /user/glenn/BackupOne/glenn to be whatever you want:
${MYFILES} -> ${MAINHOST}
	install -w -y -h -i /user/glenn/BackupOne/glenn ;
	except 0-AppKitDoc ;
	except 0-Current ;
	except ${OPTICALDISK} ;
	except ${MISCFILES} ;

${SYSFILES} -> ${MAINHOST}
	install -w -y -h -i /user/glenn/BackupOne ;
	except ${MISCFILES} ;

I hope this helps.  'rdist' only backs up the files that have changed.
You can have it DELETE files from the target disk that have been removed
from your hard disk, too (it makes the backup identical to the source,
instead of the accumulated total of everything that's ever been on the
source).  This is an option to 'rdist' that you'll have to read out of
the man page....

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer