[comp.sys.next] Problem Solved

PVJQC@CUNYVM (08/13/90)

In article <90219.135712PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, <PVJQC@CUNYVM> says:

>Hi ..
>We have a netinfo network of three NeXTs each having its own
>hard disk. These are connected on the same cable to Suns. Our Netinfo
>server has a printer which is shared by other two NeXTs. We have noticed
>that the netinfo server m/c has become terribly slow lately. There is not
>much activity on this m/c but even moving any window around takes a long time.
>When I looked at the process status ( ps axlg ) I see three defunct processes
>with parent process id 1 ( i.e. init ) and priority -ve. It looks as if
>some thing is running in the background all the time which is stealing the
>CPU cycles. I have shut down and rebooted the m/c n no. of times. NeXT
>tech support could not figure out what was going on. Rebuilding the disk is
>my last option.
>Any body has any clues, suggestions ?
>Thanks ..

----------
Finally the above problem was solved. It turned out that /etc/ttys file
was playing up. Some how the pseudo ports for network logins had an 'on'
entry which 'init' was reading and trying to start getty & die immediately.
After comparing that file with other ttys on another NeXT it was confirmed.
Editing the  /etc/ttys file and rebooting the server the problem went away.
 I thought netters may find this information useful.
>-------

-------

         *  PRASHANT V. JOSHI                                    *
         *  CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK.                         *
         *  INTERNET ADDRESS: PVJQC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU,             *
         *  BITNET ADDRESS  : PRASHANT@QCVAX.BITNET              *
         *                                                       *

surak@next.com (Jayson Adams) (08/18/90)

In article <90225.091620PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, PVJQC@CUNYVM writes:
> In article <90219.135712PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, <PVJQC@CUNYVM> says:
> >...CPU cycles. I have shut down and rebooted the m/c n no. of times. NeXT
> >tech support could not figure out what was going on. Rebuilding the disk...
> ----------
> Finally the above problem was solved....

PVJQC neglected to mention how he acquired this solution.  Just to set the
record straight, a NeXT Technical Support Engineer talked to him soon after
his first posting and discovered the cause of his problems.

__jayson  :-)
Team Leader, NeXT Developer Support

PVJQC@CUNYVM (08/21/90)

In article <227@next.com>, surak@next.com (Jayson Adams) says:

>In article <90225.091620PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, PVJQC@CUNYVM writes:
>> In article <90219.135712PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, <PVJQC@CUNYVM> says:
>> >...CPU cycles. I have shut down and rebooted the m/c n no. of times. NeXT
>> >tech support could not figure out what was going on. Rebuilding the disk...
>> ----------
>> Finally the above problem was solved....
>
>PVJQC neglected to mention how he acquired this solution.  Just to set the
>record straight, a NeXT Technical Support Engineer talked to him soon after
>his first posting and discovered the cause of his problems.

---------
Just to set the record straight from my side, I did not claim that the problem
was solved by me. It is true that Caron (?) from NeXT tech support finally
guided me through. It is also true that the problem was originally
mentioned to tech support more than 3 months back.
I did not and do not have any intentions of creating any impressions about
next tech support on the net.
-------