[net.auto] Northeast Driving Observations

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (09/19/85)

I have just returned from a vacation that involved driving through
New York, Pennsylvania, Deleware, Maryland and D.C., and I thought
some observations of driving conditions in these areas might be
helpful to others on the net.

New York:
With all of the problems we may have in this state, I still insist
we have one of the BEST road systems in the region!  Highways
traveled were I-390, I-81, I-90 and state 17.  All in good condition
except I-81 southbound.  Average cruising speed - ~65, average passing
speed - ~75.  Did not see ANY speed traps. (I-90 toll still too high)

Pennsylvania:
Great going east-west, IMPOSSIBLE to go north-south. I-81 is a joke!
This thing has been under construction since before statehood. NE
extension to the Turnpike is a "must take". (toll very reasonable)
I-76 and I-95 around Philly are equally bad.  East-west expressways
from York to Scranton good.  Average cruising speed - ~60 east-west,
<50 north-south.  Average passing speed -~70 east-west, N/A north-south
(how can you pass on a TWO lane Interstate?)

Deleware:
This is the only state that does not have an Interstate highway (unless
you count the tiny network around Willmington).  But they do have 113 and
13, north-south highways that serve the same purpose.  It just takes
a while to get used to looking out for traffic lights while doing 70.
Average cruising speed - ~60, average passing speed - ~70.

Maryland:
There seems to be a split personallity here.  Off the Interstates one
can flow with the traffic (sometimes >70).  On the Interstates the limit
is 56, PERIOD.  This lightens-up somewhat on I-86 north of Baltimore.
Average cruising speed - ~65 on expressways, 56 on Interstates.  Average
passing speed - ~75 on expressways, N/A on Interstates (would you pass
if you saw TEN radar traps in <20 miles?).

D.C.:
This is not a place to drive if you are not used to or don't like big
city rush hour traffic!  Speed limits and rules of the road do not apply.
I found it to be almost a reverse of Boston, you go fast and crazy on
the city streets but slow and cautious on the expressways.  But then,
some of the city streets were wider than the expressways!  Not hard to
get around in IF you play by their rules.

General observation:
The Mid-Atlantic states (excluding Pennsylvania) have a road system
comperable to the Northeast.  Interstates good and fast, secondaries
usually more than adequate.  Now if you could only drive directly from
New York to Maryland...

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (09/21/85)

In article <914@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>Deleware:
>This is the only state that does not have an Interstate highway (unless
>you count the tiny network around Willmington).

Looking at a map, I see that I-95 goes from Philadelphia to at
least Baltimore, passing on its way through Wilmington, Delaware.
Also, it looks like I-495 branches off of I-95 in Ardentwon and
reconnects near (Delaware) State Hwy 41. Also, I-295 enters from
New Jersey and goes to near Wilmington. I am sure there are more.

Actually, the only state without an interstate highway is Alaska.
Hawaii, in actuality, has 3 interstates -- all on the island of
Oahu: H-1 H-2 and H-3. Now you know where interstates 1, 2, and 3
are. Now...

Where are the following interstates, if they exist:

4,5,6,7,8,9,10

4 is in florida, 5 in ca/or/wa, 8 in san diego/az, and 10 is LosAngeles
to Louisiana.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know how the US highways
(NOT THE INTERSTATES) are numbered. Does anyone have a map (esp.
of california) showing the US highways BUT NOT THE INTERSTATES
(e.g., prob. circa 1950).

Daniel.

--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in  this message are not necessarily those of
my  employer,  except  the janitor who agrees with everything I write.  I hope
for his early recovery and release.

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (09/24/85)

> I have just returned from a vacation that involved driving through
> New York, Pennsylvania, Deleware, Maryland and D.C., and I thought
> some observations of driving conditions in these areas might be
> helpful to others on the net.
> Delaware:
> This is the only state that does not have an Interstate highway (unless
> you count the tiny network around Willmington).  But they do have 113 and
> 13, north-south highways that serve the same purpose.  It just takes
> a while to get used to looking out for traffic lights while doing 70.
> Average cruising speed - ~60, average passing speed - ~70.

The heck they don't!  It's true the main north-south route below Wilmington
area isn't an interstate, but most of the traffic on it is going to the beach
or to southern Delaware / Easter Shore MD/VA anyway; there's not a lot of
though traffic.  (Remember that the southern 2/3 of Delaware is on a
peninsula, and 2/3 of the people live in the northern 1/3 of the
state.)  I-95 and several derivatives ( [2468]95 ) go through the
northern part of the state, connecting the New Jersey Turnpike,
Baltimore, and southern Philadelphia.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs