[comp.sys.next] Printing Sybase Docs

wrb@milton.u.washington.edu (William Barker) (08/23/90)

I'm trying to print the Sybase system admin docs. For several of the
files, when using the "ptroff -msyb -rT1 filename" command, the doc
doesn't finish printing, and I get the message "can't open file /x.1.size",
where x is the chapter number of the doc.  Anybody else seen this, and more
importantly, anybody got a cure??  By the way, some of the docs print just
fine.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Barker  U of Washington  (206) 543-7315

wrb@milton.u.washington.edu (William Barker) (08/23/90)

Regarding the Sybase docs printing problem, NextAnswers came through.  I
should have looked there first!

Seems there are some roff codes (.Sc) related to figures that cause the
printing to bomb.  Edit out those codes, and the docs print fine, albeit
without the figures.  Oh well....

And now back to our show.

Bill Barker  U of Washington  (206) 543-7315

stan@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Stan Osborne) (08/23/90)

In article <6607@milton.u.washington.edu> wrb@milton.u.washington.edu (William Barker) writes:

>I'm trying to print the Sybase system admin docs. For several of the
>files, when using the "ptroff -msyb -rT1 filename" command, the doc
>doesn't finish printing, and I get the message "can't open file /x.1.size",
>where x is the chapter number of the doc.  Anybody else seen this, and more
>importantly, anybody got a cure??  By the way, some of the docs print just
>fine.

As released the Sybase docs (troff source) are a mess.  I guess they really
want you to buy paper from them.  :-)

I have cleaned these documents up.  (Yes there are bugs in their troff
source code.)  Then I ran them through a version of ditroff 2.0 on this
cube that produces good EPSF (.eps) files.   (The ptroff that comes with
the cube is based on a very old version of troff.)  I'm not quite sure how
to make the EPS version of the Sybase manuals available.  (I have to check
on the legality of putting copyrighted documents out for anonymous ftping.)

I will be working on finishing up the manuals later this evening.

I could at a minimum release patches.  But that does not fix the problem
of the juvenile (brain dead) troff provided with the cube.  (People with
cubes do have quite an appetite for good PostScript. )

Comments or suggestions welcomed.

Stan
--
Stan Osborne, Computer Science Department, San Francisco State University
Internet: stan@cs.sfsu.edu    Usenet: cshub!stan    Voice: (415) 338-2168

In article <6612@milton.u.washington.edu> wrb@milton.u.washington.edu (William Barker) writes:
>Regarding the Sybase docs printing problem, NextAnswers came through.  I
>should have looked there first!
>
>Seems there are some roff codes (.Sc) related to figures that cause the
>printing to bomb.  Edit out those codes, and the docs print fine, albeit
>without the figures.  Oh well....

".Sc" is the name of a macro defined in "tmac.syb" the Sybase troff macros.

All of the "SCREEN" style examples used by ".Sc" were left out when Sybase
copied over the manual sources.

In addition to leaving out examples that are normally included in the
manual, there are no instructions on how to convert the troff source
into something humans more easily understand.  It would have been
nice if they had provided a "makefile" and had tested it on a clean
system to confirm it really would work for all next customers.

The Sybase documentation provided with the system can only be made
usable (barely) by someone who has access to NextAnswers or has
experience dealing with incomplete and makefile-less troff source code.
It is very likely Businessland customers will have neither of these.
I can only imagine the problems this causes Sybase when new NeXT customers
call them and ask them for help deciphering the files they find in
/NextLibrary/Documentation/Sybase.

----

In a previous posting I said I had worked around bugs and
was processing the manuals.  I should have qualified my statement
by saying I was doing my best to work around the missing SCREEN format
examples and missing makefiles.

I hope these problems are amoung those corrected with the 2.0 release
rumored for later this year

Stan