[comp.sys.next] DOS in the NeXT?

mvilla@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Marcelo Villacres) (08/24/90)

I just got my cube two weeks ago (and absolutely love it). So, I have a
question for all you NeXTies out there. I have the need (don't ask why) to
run DOS, and would like to use the cube (so I don't have to touch one of
those repugnant... I can't even say their name... IB... aghhh ..Ms). I am
not all that familiar with what's exactly available for the cube yet. But
I thought that if there's a DOS window that can be run under X_Windows
(I am not familiar with X_Windows either), then I could do what I need
in my cube. Does anyone have any answers?

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
			            ____
			       ___/|    |
	         _________    |   ||    |
	        |_________|       //======o     |_____________|
           _____________
         /_______________\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[=]

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (08/24/90)

In article <9267@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> mvilla@kilroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Marcelo Villacres) writes:
>I just got my cube two weeks ago (and absolutely love it). So, I have a

So do I.

>question for all you NeXTies out there. I have the need (don't ask why) to
>run DOS, and would like to use the cube (so I don't have to touch one of
>those repugnant...

There is a program capable of emulating a PC, as far as I know it can
even emulate an AT, BUT although it is pretty hardware independent (it
runs on Mac's, Clipper workstations, Iris etc.) there is still no
version out there for the NeXT. (Why can't NeXT push these guy's to do
the development? Noone want's to use a PC anyway if they do not
absolutely need to do it, once they used a NeXT.) In case you want to
bother the company that writes the program: Their name is Insignia (as
far as I know) and their product on the Mac is called SoftPc.

>I thought that if there's a DOS window that can be run under X_Windows
>(I am not familiar with X_Windows either), then I could do what I need
>in my cube.

The only thing that comes close to that is either to wait until
Quarterdeck is ready with it's DesqView/X, a program that can
multitask DOS applications on a PC and can run them as X-clients on
386pc's or to use the software PC-emulation on one of the workstations
running X that are on your LAN. In both cases you then could use XNeXT
to display a pseudo PC screen on the NeXT.
Be warned however, that as useful as XNeXT is, it is still not
NextStep i.e it is neither as nice as the NeXT GUI nor as fast. To run
XNeXT at reasonable speed, you should have at least some 16MB in your
cube.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (08/25/90)

In article <48146@brunix.UUCP>, rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
|>There is a program capable of emulating a PC, as far as I know it can
|>even emulate an AT, BUT although it is pretty hardware independent (it
|>runs on Mac's, Clipper workstations, Iris etc.) there is still no
|>version out there for the NeXT. (Why can't NeXT push these guy's to do
|>the development? Noone want's to use a PC anyway if they do not
|>absolutely need to do it, once they used a NeXT.) In case you want to
|>bother the company that writes the program: Their name is Insignia (as
|>far as I know) and their product on the Mac is called SoftPc.

Noone "wants" to use a PC?  Depends upon what you mean by wants. Yes,
all things being equal, the NeXT is much nicer. But things--costs
in particular--aren't equal. Even if a DOS emulator is available on the
NeXT, those folks who just have to run certain specific PC applications
are better off with PCs ($8,000 vs $2,000 per desktop). If all someone
has to do is run a small database application, or do simple word processing,
the PC (or the Mac) is a much better choice.  The NeXT is much too expensive
to plop on the desk of someone who is just going to use it to write letters
and memos.

Jim
jmann@es.stratus.com