[comp.sys.next] BSD-switch

bentahar@eng.umd.edu (Naim L. Bentahar) (08/14/90)

Does the compiler on NeXT has a strict_BSD_fashion switch to compile program
previously written for a BSD version. If not, what are the preliminary
steps that one should take to modify a makefile from a BSD to NeXT machine.
Thanx for any help you can provide.

Naim Bentahar

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug13.214128.1826@eng.umd.edu>, bentahar@eng.umd.edu (Naim L. Bentahar) writes:

> Does the compiler on NeXT has a strict_BSD_fashion switch to compile program
> previously written for a BSD version. If not, what are the preliminary
> steps that one should take to modify a makefile from a BSD to NeXT machine.
> Thanx for any help you can provide.

Yes it does. It is defined as _STRICT_BSD_ and works great. The only
thing I've had to do in porting 3 or 4 small programs is to sometimes
add -fwriteable_strings to the compiler command line options. I've done
this is 3 make files in the past week.

For all intents and purposes, the cube can be used as a pure BSD
Unix machine, just like a Sun, but with the benefit of *not* being
a Sun machine.

-g