[comp.sys.next] print PS from remote machine at 400 dpi?

dmlaur@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David M. Laur) (08/27/90)

Can someone give me a few hints on how to print remotely-spooled
PostScript files at 400 dpi on the NeXT?  I've discovered that
remote jobs, in fact all jobs, submitted with lpr are printed at
300 dpi unless one sets the "-R400" switch.  Since this is a
non-standard lpr option, our remote systems seem to strip it out
rather than passing it along to the NeXT.  I've double checked
this using a small test PS program which issues a

    statusdict /resolution get

to find the current printing resulotion, it always returns 300
for remotely-spooled jobs.

Of course, for most things the difference between 300 and 400
dpi is only noticable if you're looking for it; however, I've
written some screen-dump software for our SGI machines, and
PS images are much improved by the extra resolution.

The documentation states that my image files can change the
value of /resolution (to 400 or MAX), but in order to do so
there can be no saved contexts on the stack ... unfortunately
there's no safe way to make this change from within a file
that is spooled remotely since the spooler seems to save
the current graphics state before the file gets control.

In a related question: why default to 300 dpi? is this just to
handle a few remote jobs from sources that depend on 300 dpi
for some reason (custom half-tone screens perhaps?).  Is it
to promote replacement of the remote machine with a NeXT? :-)

Thanks for any help,

 - David Laur
   Princeton University
   Interactive Computer Graphics Lab
   dmlaur@magritte.princeton.edu
   dmlaur@pucc.bitnet

chari@iti.org (Chris Whatley) (08/28/90)

dmlaur@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David M. Laur) writes:

>Can someone give me a few hints on how to print remotely-spooled
>PostScript files at 400 dpi on the NeXT?  I've discovered that
>remote jobs, in fact all jobs, submitted with lpr are printed at
>300 dpi unless one sets the "-R400" switch.

This may not be practical but, you could prepend...

%%Feature: *Resolution 400

to your document. Actually, it needs to go after %!PS-Adobe-2.0 for
the printer to recognize it. This should work fine if you are printing
raw postscript from the SGI and you can edit the file easily.

Chris

--
"Stab it and steer!"