[comp.sys.next] rusers problem

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (08/29/90)

  I am having a very strange problem that someone may be able to help me
with.  We have several Sun's, NeXT's, and Vaxen on our network.  I was
always curious why the Sun's were the only who would respond to the
rusers request from my Sun.  Today I logged onto one of the NeXT boxes
and did an rusers and all Sun's and NeXT's reported.  Where is the
problem?  Is it on the NeXT or the Sun.  I looked at both /etc/rpc and
/etc/inetd.conf on both types of machines and cannot find and problems.

Any ideas?

Bill Thorson

#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
echo Bill Thorson                   thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
echo Dept of Atmospheric Science    (303) 491-8339
echo Colorado State University
echo Ft. Collins,  CO  80523        Cray||Sun||Amiga -- I can't decide?
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (08/29/90)

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:

>  I am having a very strange problem that someone may be able to help me
>with.  We have several Sun's, NeXT's, and Vaxen on our network.  I was
>always curious why the Sun's were the only who would respond to the
>rusers request from my Sun.  Today I logged onto one of the NeXT boxes
>and did an rusers and all Sun's and NeXT's reported.  Where is the
>problem?  Is it on the NeXT or the Sun.  I looked at both /etc/rpc and
>/etc/inetd.conf on both types of machines and cannot find and problems.

Do both the Sun and the NeXT boxes support all versions of the rusers
protocol?  If you do an "rpcinfo -p | grep rusers", a Sun running SunOS
4.0.x should have versions 1 and 2 registered for UDP; if the NeXT only
had version 1, it would ignore the Sun's request.  Hope that helps.

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow, thurlow@convex.com or thurlow%convex.com@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."