[comp.sys.next] NeXT Rumors...

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (08/16/89)

I only just started reading this group's postings, so I may be reiterating
previous hashed-over rumors. I got these from the last page of Infoworld,
an issue a couple months back:

NeXT is planning a Motorola 88000-based NeXT machine (some ways off yet)
that will be able to hold up 4 88k's in one cube, will have a 1 gigabyte
Canon optical drive with a 30 ms access time, and will use the 32-bit
AMD Ethernet chip. Full multiprocessing support included, naturally.

Also in the works is a 32-bit/pixel color board based on TI's 34020
processor with 4MB of VRAM that will be 4X faster than the current 68030
(main processor) based 2-bit/pixel graphics system.

Sorry if I reposted old news...

Zach T. Smith (zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu)

naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) (08/17/89)

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
>I only just started reading this group's postings, so I may be reiterating
>previous hashed-over rumors. I got these from the last page of Infoworld,
>an issue a couple months back:
>[...]
>Also in the works is a 32-bit/pixel color board based on TI's 34020
>processor with 4MB of VRAM that will be 4X faster than the current 68030
>(main processor) based 2-bit/pixel graphics system.

As long as we are passing on rumours:

The 14th August issue of Infoworld, back page, says that NeXT will be releasing
a 32-bit/pixel colour board sometime next year based on the Intel i860.
This board will have Renderman and Display Postscript in microcode.

A 24-bit/pixel board will be released at rougly the same time, by some other
company. I forget the name, but it is in the article.

>Zach T. Smith (zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu)

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim@eecs.nwu.edu
		      Uucp: {oddjob, chinet, att}!nucsrl!naim

johno@walt.cc.utexas.edu (John H. Osborn) (08/18/89)

[Lots and lots of talk about the next NeXT from lots of people]

All this talk about new machines that may or may not be compatible
with the current Cube certainly cause me some concern about buying
a current generation (and almost out of date, no less!) machine from
NeXT.  Anybody else feel the same way?

-
John H. Osborn     * University of Texas at Austin
walt.cc.utexas.edu * "Hey, was that 'kill 1 -1' or 'kill -1 1'?"

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (08/19/89)

<All this talk about new machines that may or may not be compatible with the
current Cube certainly cause me some concern about buying a current
generation...>

It's the price you pay to be a pioneer.  Look at the poor boobs who bought
Lisa's, only to face expensive (and less than completely compatible) upgrades
to Mac XLs, and the current groaning about Mac II upgrades.  Sometimes it
backfires, as with the current hordes of MeSs-DOS users who "just say, 'No!'"
to OS-2.

It would certainly be nice if NeXT were to break with the tradition of screwing
early adopters, but I'm not holding my breath.  When you're looking at
exponential growth, it's easy to write off the good will of your early
customers.  (On the other hand, since they're such a small lot, it doesn't cost
much to keep them on your side, either!)

I'm still trying to get my group a single NeXT machine, simply as an example of
some interesting new technology, but I wouldn't spend my personal dollars on
one, nor would I buy one each for our whole group, until the future becomes
more clear.

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
						  Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (08/19/89)

In article <17312@ut-emx.UUCP> johno@walt.cc.utexas.edu (John H. Osborn) writes:
>[Lots and lots of talk about the next NeXT from lots of people]
>
>All this talk about new machines that may or may not be compatible
>with the current Cube certainly cause me some concern about buying
>a current generation (and almost out of date, no less!) machine from
>NeXT.  Anybody else feel the same way?

For what it is worth, the local NeXT sales account manager told me, in
response to my question concerning an upgrade path, that NeXT intends
to build upon the platform of the original Cube, and not obsolete it
by introducing incompatible enhancements.  She made this comment in the
context of my purchasing a machine, and I expressed the very concern and
nervousness that you note here.  Nothing that I have read on
comp.sys.next over the past few weeks has given me reason to doubt what
she said.  On the contrary, the recent posting by Bruce Henderson spoke
of 100% upgradability.  So rumors and official pronouncements seem to
correspond pretty well.  I bought one, and I don't think I'll regret
it.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

magill@operations.upenn.edu (PENNnet Oper/Planning) (08/20/89)

>  <All this talk about new machines that may or may not be compatible with the
>  current Cube certainly cause me some concern about buying a current
>   generation...>
>
>   It's the price you pay to be a pioneer.  Look at the poor boobs who bought
>   Lisa's, only to face expensive (and less than completely compatible)
>   upgrades to Mac XLs, and the current groaning about Mac II upgrades.
>   Sometimes it backfires, as with the current hordes of MeSs-DOS users who
>   "just say, 'No!'" to OS-2.

But then again, if people weren't willing to pioneer we would:
	1- Not even have the good old MITS-ALTAIR (you all do remember that
		don't you - the first "real" PC.
	2- All be running OS - as in OS/360 - or if you want to get even
		more rediculous - Autocoder - or if you want to go back to
		days when STARWARS was written on the PDP-1 or when
		dear sweet old "unix" was written... machine code assembly.
	3- Not have the "unix" that most folks call "unix". BSD doesn't
		bare much similarity to Unix(tm) (as in SystemV), not
		to mention MACH.

>   It would certainly be nice if NeXT were to break with the tradition of
>   screwing early adopters, but I'm not holding my breath.  When you're
>   looking at exponential growth, it's easy to write off the good will of
>   your early customers.  (On the other hand, since they're such a small
>   lot, it doesn't cost much to keep them on your side, either!)

Don't forget that the "exponential growth" referred to here has absolutely
nothing to do with NeXT - it is an INDUSTRY wide phenomon. I'm one year
older than the entire computer industry! (Using 1946 as ENIAC's birthdate)

NeXT is "revolutionary" exactly because Apple, IBM, and (what's left of)
the BUNCH (Burroughs, Univac, NCR, CDC, Honneywell) took a lesson from
the introduction of System 360 which obsoleted an entire generation of
hardware AND software OVERNIGHT. The industry reaction was mildly
histerical. Nobody wants to replace anthing they spent money for.
All this talk about "competition" and "technological superiority",etc
is so much hogwash - people (individual and companies/instutions alike)
refuse to spend money just to "stay current" - ever had to fight with
management for "software maintenance contracts", ever tried to convince
management to "upgrade" to a new system.

NeXT's introduction into the marketplace was incredibly traumatic -
look at the reactions from DEC or SUN or Apple. Oh, they all swore
on a stack of bibles that they were "inovating" and not "reacting", but
the simple fact of the matter is, the availability of NeXT called
their hands. In poker terms, they had to "put up or shut up".
NeXT very effectively has raised the stakes in the workstation game.
Just look at DEC's decision to drop "Berkley mail" as their supported
mail processor in Ultrix 3.1. They have replaced "mail" with "mh".
Now if you've ever used mh, you either love it or hate it, but it
replaced one program with many commands with many programs containing
one command each. This is an incredible pain in the butt for the
async "line at a time" user. But DEC also included X-mh - NOW, that's a
horse of adifferent color, especially on a 19 inch mnitor. With buttons
to click on via mouse, mh is a pretty nice mail handeler! Put another way,
DEC's decision to switch MUA's was a purely marketing decision - they
want to sell workstations. So they release software that "works" for
the async user, but "shines" in the workstation environment.

I happen to be a Genealogical hacker (soc.roots) as well as a computer
professional, and it pains me to see all of the "faith and trust" being
placed in ANY computer system existant today when viewed in the light
of Genealogy - our source documents are typically 100+ years old!!!
How many of you sitll have your data still stored on 8 inch floppies?
But there are many folks out their extoling the virtues of this CPM
system or that one for computerizing their geneaological record keeping
chores - because "the prices of the computers finally became cheap enough
to be affordable for the hobbiest!" Hell, I've got "stainless-steel" tapes
in my office from the UNIVAC I. They make nice memorabeila, but there is
not a machine around that can read their data today.

>   I'm still trying to get my group a single NeXT machine, simply as an
>   example of some interesting new technology, but I wouldn't spend my
>   personal dollars on one, nor would I buy one each for our whole group,
>   until the future becomes  more clear.

Probably the attitude of many of us. If your "environment" happens to
be "grant based" such an attitude is easy to support. But then again,
what about Apollo? They "were" proven technology until bought up by
HP. Today, I would counsel anybody considering Apollo the same way.

Risk is the name of the game. It's no different in Computers than
in Investing. If you can't sleep at night because of the decision
you made - then you took on too much risk.

--
William H. Magill 			 Manager, PENNnet Operations Planning
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/22/89)

In article <5792@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
}<All this talk about new machines that may or may not be compatible with the
}current Cube certainly cause me some concern about buying a current
}generation...>

}It would certainly be nice if NeXT were to break with the tradition of screwing
}early adopters, but I'm not holding my breath.  When you're looking at
}exponential growth, it's easy to write off the good will of your early
}customers.  (On the other hand, since they're such a small lot, it doesn't cost
}much to keep them on your side, either!)

We had a NeXT demonstration here last week.  I expressed similar concerns
to the demonstrators.  They assured me NeXT is very concerned about
upgrade paths and keeping its customer base up to date.  Their plan is to
make upgrades cheap and easy enough that everyone will get them.  This
saves them and the third party vendors from having to write code for
different versions of the system or, worse, writing for the lowest common
denominator.  They told me the upgrade from .9 to 1.0 will be free.
Considering the media it comes on sells for $99 a copy, I'd say they're
putting their money where their mouth is.

(On the other hand, all this information came from sales critters.  I wish
I'd read this group before I attended the demonstration.  I'd have been
armed with more useful questions).

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/22/89)

All this talk of screwing over competitors bring to mind the variaties of
ways in the Mac world.  On one hand, Symantics is charging me $69 of a $250
price to upgrade to Think C 4.0, which is only half of C++.  They will
probably have a Think C 5.0 within a year and charge me again for another
upgrade.  On a nicer note, Paragon software announced that anyone who has
ever purchased their program will get a free upgrade to Nissus 2.0.

I'll let everyone decide for themselves which company I like better.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Michael Rutman
Softmed

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/22/89)

>denominator.  They told me the upgrade from .9 to 1.0 will be free.

It sure better be free!  When you buy a NeXT, you are buying version 1.0.
The fact that you get .8 or .9 means that *you* are volunteering to help
NeXT test a pre-release of their software.

                                          lee

pvo3366@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (08/27/89)

In article <5792@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:

>It would certainly be nice if NeXT were to break with the tradition of
>screwing early adopters, but I'm not holding my breath.......

Tradition?  What tradition?  You've got it backwards, Jan.  This screw
early customers stuff is yuppie new-age.  We used to get our OS-8 upgrades
for the PDP-8 free when DEC was the little guy.

Has anyone *ever* paid to have their NeXT system software updated?

This is a great leap into the "good ole' days" when early customers were
rewarded, not penalized for their purchases.  Yeah NeXT!

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/27/89)

>Has anyone *ever* paid to have their NeXT system software updated?

has anyone received a working non-beta system sotware package yet to have to
pay to upgrade?

More to the point.  When NeXT introduces a 50mHz 68040 board, how much will
it cost to upgrade.  Most likely, it won't be a swap, since the mother board
can handle up to four logic boards, but what if someone does want to swap.
Will NeXT handle it gracefully, or are they planning on doing the old Apple
BS of a new machine every 6 months to a year and telling us our old machines
are worthless and we must shell out between $1000 and $4000 to upgrade per
machine per time.

Michael Rutman
Softmed

bruceh@zygot.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (08/28/89)

In article <246300051@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> has anyone received a working non-beta system sotware package yet to have to
> pay to upgrade?
You can be certian tha NeXT will not charge you for the 1.0 release.
After that who knows.   I doubt that they will be too absurd.  The
whole apple upgrade bs started AFTER Jobs left....
He's very up on having EVERYBODY upgrade.....
That way you don't have to worry about software supporting obsolete
platforms.

> Will NeXT handle it gracefully, or are they planning on doing the old Apple
> BS of a new machine every 6 months to a year and telling us our old machines
Actually, the plan is every 18 months the system will evolve.  If that
is true then the next evolution is due in April, just about the time
that industry insider types say the color system will be announced...

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bruce Henderson                                       Software Engineer

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (Declan McCullagh) (08/29/90)

Kevin A. Harris (kevin@cunixf.cunixf.cc.columbia.edu) writes:

>Say it ain't so, Joe! I *like* the Cube. I don't want a "pizza-box"
>and I *really* don't want to have to buy a color machine just to get
>the Cube casing. Why, why, why? I hope that this is just a rumor.

Don't you think you're overreacting a bit?  This is just one more
permutation of the many unfounded, unconfirmed, baseless rumors that
are floating around right now.

Hmm...  Perhaps I should elaborate on my 1' diameter pink sphere rumor
and sell it to MacWeek or InfoWorld?

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu