[comp.sys.next] Bug in Mathematica Collect function

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug27.235404.18532@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> of
sci.math.symbolic madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>The reported Mathematica Collect[(-1)^(-1+2n)y^2,y] bug also exists on the
>January 20, 1990 version of the kernel on a NeXT, which fixed a previous
>bug in Together[].

Let's hope Wolfram gets a fix to NeXT, and NeXT gets it to us, a lot faster
than the Together bug fix.

P.S. The bug is that the Collect call given above just throws away the (-1)^-1.

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (08/30/90)

The Mathematica Collect[] bug that I reported in sci.math.symbolic and was
repeated here by Walter Daugherity is known by Wolfram Research and they
say the fix will be in the next major release of the Mathematica kernel,
which will be Real Soon Now.  My hope is that that release will coincide
with the 2.0 software release for the NeXT, in which case all NeXT users
will get the fix with the new operating system.  NeXT will be announcing
the new OS in the middle of September (the 14th was it?), but from
experience, we might wonder when they will actually ship 2.0 ...

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu