[comp.sys.next] Is there a Simple Database Program Out There?

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Shipley) (08/31/90)

Douglas Scott writes:
>I would like to create a basic file-card sort of database on my cube.  Any
>suggestions about what to use/buy/write?  I was surprised that there was no
>form of database program bundled.  After all, I'm not asking for the
>equivalent of MS Works or anything.  What would be my best way to proceed?

There are three databases that come with the NeXT.

One is Sybase, which seems a bit complicated for what you're doing.
Printing the Sybase docs is discussed in NeXTAnswers, and in the
archives.

The other is DBM, which ships with a lot of unix boxes.  It's fairly
simple, and lacks command-line utilities, but it gets the job done.
You can find these functions with a man -k dbm.

The one I'd recommend is db, which seems to be a NeXT unix enhancement.
It has command line utilities as well as c library functions to manipulate
a database.  It's described under man 3 db, and man 1 dbConcatenate.

Or, you could always use Netinfo, but you'd have to run as root.

-william shipley
your average joe who likes nexts

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (08/31/90)

In <6892@milton.u.washington.edu>, wjs@milton.u.washington.edu writes:
>There are three databases that come with the NeXT.
>The other is DBM, which ships with a lot of unix boxes.  It's fairly
>simple, and lacks command-line utilities, but it gets the job done.

The dbm library was superceded by ndbm(3) and I would guess, from looking at
the db.h include file, that both are implemented as calls into to NeXT's db
library (see below).

>The one I'd recommend is db, which seems to be a NeXT unix enhancement.
>It has command line utilities as well as c library functions to manipulate
>a database.  It's described under man 3 db, and man 1 dbConcatenate.

I'd recommed using the HashFile object from the cs.orst.edu archive as your
means of using 'db' database files -- but I'm obviously biased in the matter.
Also, you really want to look under 'man 1 dbCatenate'.

- Christopher
-------