[comp.sys.next] OD and PC-NFS

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) (08/30/90)

I am having a bizzare problem with PC-NFS, trying to talk to an OD mounted
on a NeXT box. Let's say my NeXT is called "cube" and my PC called "pc386".
In my /etc/exports I have one line:

/ -access=pc386,root=pc386

I boot up my NeXT, log in as root, mount the OD as /Backup. Then, I type

exportfs -o access=pc386,root=pc386 /Backup

This should have exported my /Backup as a legit NFS volume.
Now I go back to my PC, boot up PC-NFS, and issue the following commands:

net use H: \\cube\
net use I: \\cube\Backup

Now H: drive should be mapped to the root directory of NeXT, and I: should
map to the OD. I go into H:, and everything works great. But I do not
see the Backup directory under H:\, which I assume it's because it's another
file system.

I go to I:, and I type "dir". Nothing. No files. The OD is actually full of
files. I try to copy something into it, it wouldn't let me. I try a "mkdir"
and the mkdir fails. Why is this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Robert
<rlin@cs.ubc.ca>

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (08/31/90)

In article <9340@ubc-cs.UUCP>, rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
> I am having a bizzare problem with PC-NFS, trying to talk to an OD mounted
> on a NeXT box. Let's say my NeXT is called "cube" and my PC called "pc386".
> In my /etc/exports I have one line:
> / -access=pc386,root=pc386
> I boot up my NeXT, log in as root, mount the OD as /Backup. Then, I type
> exportfs -o access=pc386,root=pc386 /Backup

I use pretty much the same method here pretty regularly, although I
don't use the -o switch in exportfs.  You might try without the -o
command line parameters.  Another suggestion is that NFS user may be
set as nobody.  I had to set my permissions on the optical so that
anyone could read and write. Thats all I can think of.  Otherwise you
are doing just what I do on a regular basis.

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #