[comp.sys.next] Upgrade Policies?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (08/30/90)

Any word on the upgrade policies associated with NeXT's new
product line?

Maybe we still have time to influence them before the
Gala Unveiling Event, Sept. 18. Good ugrade policies
_could_ be used as an effective PR tool.

What _could_ it be like...lets imagine...hmmmm...
(nods off at the monitor...)

(fade in to Gala Event, at the concert hall, black tie...Steve
on stage in his tuxedo, having just whipped the covering tarp
off the three new NeXT's---which, as a surprise added 2.0 feature,
have the ability to levitate and read your mind. Flashbulbs
popping...

Steve: "And, I'd like to announce that, for all those users
who've had the vision to come on board with NeXT over these
past two years...Free Upgrades on all features!"

(A roar comes up from the crowd, then a rising
chant "NeXT!...NeXT!...NeXT!...)

(...wakes up to repeated beeping caused by laying head on
the keyboard)

Well, free upgrades are probably too much to ask for.

As I see it, though, there are 3 upgrade issues: The color monitor,
the 68040, and the 2.88 Mb floppy drive.

The 68040 and Color monitor---being the type of upgrades
we all foresaw---should be offered  at a low-profit price, as
a favor to loyal NeXT users. These are simple amenities that
add to the system capabilities. (I've heard talk of a $1000
figure---does that cover just the 68040, or does it
also turn the 2 bit greyscale into 24 bit greyscale? I doubt
it covers the Color Monitor, but we can alway dream...)

However, I think the floppy drive should be offered as a _free_
upgrade, or at worst, at cost---because its likely to make our
optical disks useless for software distribution, and we'll all
be _forced_ to fork over ~$500 for a floppy drive if we plan on buying
any software. Since NeXT is essentially changing their
mode of software distribution under us, I think they
should give us a freebie so we can all join in.

On a related point: what is a 2.88 Mb floppy? I've never
heard of that size. I hope it also reads the standard
sizes (and formats---I've heard IBM, but not Mac?)---otherwise,
whats the point of having it if it doesn't broaden
the file transfer options.

Barry Merriman

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (08/30/90)

>The $1495 (suggested retail, educational discount applies) upgrade will be to
>swap main CPU boards.  You pull your memory chips, send in the 68030 board and
>$1495, and they send you the 68040 board.  It cannot include 24-bit grayscale

You mean they aren't sending the board first??  Seems pretty mean to
make you do without a main board while the thing's in the mail. . .

BTW, if indeed the new machines are announced on the 18th, does this
mean that the upgrade board is available then- or even that the new
machines will ship then??  I have the impression that Moto is still
in the sampling stage on the '040. . . Somebody have more definite
information on this?

-Bill-

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (08/31/90)

In article <298@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

   [stuff deleted]

[...]

Why is everyone getting so excited over a 2.88 Mb floppy drive?  The
way I see it, they would be great in computer networks like those on
college campuses.  Students could go to the lab and do their work,
save it on floppies, then take it home with them.  But for single user
machines, the optical is the only way to go.

Also, do high density disks work in the new drives?  If not the media
is probably going to be a bit expensive.  Software distribution is
also going to be a major pain.  After we all buy Topdraw and move it
to our hard disks, we aren't going to need to buy anymore floppies;
we'll have a lifetime supply.

Does anyone have anymore info. on Canon's new optical drives?  I heard
that they are 512K and have a 32ms access time.  What kind of
performance would a NeXT have if used floptical(or two) for its
primary disk?

I think that NeXT offering a 2.88Mb floppy is a good thing, but I
don't think that they should move away from optical storage.  Given
some time, optical storage will take off.  It may take 100,000 NeXTs
before this happens, but the new machines are going to take the world
by storm, so we won't have to wait too long :-).

-Mike

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (08/31/90)

In article <298@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Any word on the upgrade policies associated with NeXT's new product line?

[lines deleted]

>As I see it, though, there are 3 upgrade issues: The color monitor,
>the 68040, and the 2.88 Mb floppy drive.

>The 68040 and Color monitor---being the type of upgrades
>we all foresaw---should be offered  at a low-profit price, as
>a favor to loyal NeXT users. These are simple amenities that
>add to the system capabilities. (I've heard talk of a $1000
>figure---does that cover just the 68040, or does it
>also turn the 2 bit greyscale into 24 bit greyscale? I doubt
>it covers the Color Monitor, but we can alway dream...)

The $1495 (suggested retail, educational discount applies) upgrade will be to
swap main CPU boards.  You pull your memory chips, send in the 68030 board and
$1495, and they send you the 68040 board.  It cannot include 24-bit grayscale
(as there's not enough room on the main board for the additional video RAM) or
a color monitor (as you'd have trouble finding just a mega-pixel Renderman color
monitor for $1495, not to mention the price of a 68040).

>However, I think the floppy drive should be offered as a _free_
>upgrade, or at worst, at cost---because its likely to make our
>optical disks useless for software distribution, and we'll all
>be _forced_ to fork over ~$500 for a floppy drive if we plan on buying
>any software. Since NeXT is essentially changing their
>mode of software distribution under us, I think they
>should give us a freebie so we can all join in.

Not impossible.  1.44 MB floppy drives are available for under $100 mail-order,
so NeXT could bundle a 2.88 MB floppy drive pretty cheaply.

>On a related point: what is a 2.88 Mb floppy? I've never
>heard of that size. I hope it also reads the standard
>sizes (and formats---I've heard IBM, but not Mac?)---otherwise,
>whats the point of having it if it doesn't broaden
>the file transfer options.

A 2.88 MB floppy is just a quad density IBM PC 3.5-incher.  The first one
(e.g., PS/2 Model 25) was 720 KB, and then came the double density 1.44 MB.
MS-DOS and Mac formats are different, but under software control, so look for
some enterprising third party to support Mac format.  It should still handle
720 KB and 1.44 MB diskettes for PC interchange.

P.S.  All of the above is rumor or my opinion.
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (08/31/90)

I really cringe at the idea of yet another damned pizza box (YADPB).
What I need is for next to offer the new motherboard, in a cube,
with 2 reasonably fast 512mb optical drives, cheaply.  This would solve
pretty much all the problems of the current machine.
 -price, -insufficient storage, -speed
2 opticals would allow for easy backup, allow for reasonable removable
media changes on the fly (run off od0, insert & remove various od1s as
needed) and give 1gb of online storage.

If I have grey-scale, I don't need color, but I *do* need a functional
cheap machine with lots and lots of storage.
-
-John Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (09/01/90)

In article <SMITHW.90Aug30145742@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) writes:
>>The $1495 (suggested retail, educational discount applies) upgrade will be to
>>swap main CPU boards.  You pull your memory chips, send in the 68030 board and
>>$1495, and they send you the 68040 board.  It cannot include 24-bit grayscale

>You mean they aren't sending the board first??  Seems pretty mean to
>make you do without a main board while the thing's in the mail. . .

You're quite right; maybe you send in your money, they send you the 68040 and
then you have a certain length of time to return the 68030 board or pay for it.
(Kind of like getting a rebuilt starter for your car?)

Now what could NeXT do with a bunch of just-made-obsolescent 68030 boards?
Well, they'd probably get the most mileage out of selling them to
universities in a pizza box ***REAL*** cheap.  Imagine a couple hundred
colleges and universities each with a lab full of NeXT's!  It's enough to
make a marketing manager drool.  IBM, Apple, and DEC have all benefitted
tremendously from subsidizing the educational market, and NeXT has made a
good start with their educational pricing.