[comp.sys.next] kerberized login authentication

jay@lightnin.cs.unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) (08/30/90)

we'd like to start using kerberos for login authentication on our next
machines just like we  do on  all our  normal  workstations.   i don't
think    that  loginwindow  runs    /bin/login  but     does  its  own
authentication.  is there a magic flag to  loginwindow that will cause
it to use some other program for authentication?

failing that --  we  have the nice nextlogin.tiff  file and  there are
apparently a lot of nice alternative  tiff files in the next archives.
but,    i'd  like to    get my  hands  on  some   code that works like
/usr/lib/NextStep/loginwindow to put in ttys.  i'd really like to just
get  the code to  loginwindow.  can such a  program be built  with the
interface builder?  although i'd rather not mess with  objective-c and
the interface builder could someone point  me in  the right direction?
is everything you need to know to build such a program  (not really an
application) documented?

-jay
jay@cs.unlv.edu

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (08/31/90)

In article <1950@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jay@unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) writes
concerning using central login authentication for NeXTs.  We have a Sun
running yellow pages, so just putting a + at the end of /etc/passwd on
each NeXT lets any user login on any workstation.  (Yeah, there's a little
more to it, but it's basically very simple.)

Writing your own login window with Interface Builder would be a fun exercise,
but why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to?

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (08/31/90)

In article <7857@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>In article <1950@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jay@unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) writes
>We have a Sun running yellow pages, so just putting a + at the end of
>/etc/passwd on each NeXT lets any user login on any workstation.

>Writing your own login window with Interface Builder would be a fun exercise,
>but why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to?

Many folks, us included, want to "reinvent the wheel" because we feel
that Yellow Pages sucks dead squirels though a garden hose. (To coin a
phrase.)

The reason the original poster wanted to replace the LoginWindow
program was so he could use Kerberos.  Folks want to use Kerboros
authentication because security is important to them.  Security and
Yellow Pages are generally incompatible.  Using YP to do host lookups
is also a big lose.

I sure wish that NeXT had adopted the MIT Athena model (Kerberos,
Hesiod, etc) rather than this "easy to use", of of a kind propriatary
NetInfo.  Talk about re-inventing the wheel.

louie

greg@duke.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) (09/08/90)

[...]

well so far this article generated one message from a poor soul who
actually thinks yellowpages is gods gift to system administration, and
another (deservidly) flaming him.  But, nobody has come forth with any
information.

Apparently nobody has yet bitten the bullet and written a replacement
loginwindow application, so...  How about at least a description of the
functional requirements of such a beast?  i.e. how does it signal the
system that the login was sucessfull?  Is it responcible for execing
another program after the login succeeds?  etc.

						--Greg