[comp.sys.next] NeXT Invitation

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (08/31/90)

I got my invitation today (YIPEE!!!) and whatever it takes to make it
down to California, I will get there. If I have to crawl, I will bring
lots of Band-Aids(tm).

But anyway, the initation goes something like this:

"NeXT Computer, Inc. invites you to join Lotus and other industry partners
at Davies Symphony Hall 18 September 1990."

The Lotus on the first page is actually on the second page and you see it
through a hole cut out of the first page. When you open it up, here is a
list of "other industry partners" that you see.

Ashton-Tate
PLI
SD (I assume this is Stone Design)
Adobe
Oracle
Lotus
SAS
WordPerfect
Motorola, Inc.
Atlantix
Sybase
Conextions Incorporated
Visus
Imagine, Inc.
Media Logic (just the logo)
Right Brain Software
Toltec Human Services
Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
Altsys
Boss Logic, Inc.
Insignia
Adamation
Coda
HSD
Wolfram Research, Inc.
Metaresearch Incorporated
Canon
Knowledge Transfer International
Frame
Microstat Development Corporation
Digital Intrumentation Technology, Inc.
Software Ventures
-----------

I've heard of most of these and have guesses for what they are going to
produce (WordPerfect I would assume is going to do a word processor.)
So does anyone have speculation (or knowledge) on what the others are
going to do.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

rodmur@liz.ecst.csuchico.edu (D.A. Harris) (08/31/90)

In article <20072@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> you write:
|> I got my invitation today (YIPEE!!!) and whatever it takes to make it
|> down to California, I will get there. If I have to crawl, I will bring
|> lots of Band-Aids(tm).
|>
|> But anyway, the initation goes something like this:
|>
|> "NeXT Computer, Inc. invites you to join Lotus and other industry partners
|> at Davies Symphony Hall 18 September 1990."
|>
|> The Lotus on the first page is actually on the second page and you see it
|> through a hole cut out of the first page. When you open it up, here is a
|> list of "other industry partners" that you see.
.. delete ..
|> I've heard of most of these and have guesses for what they are going to
|> produce (WordPerfect I would assume is going to do a word processor.)
|> So does anyone have speculation (or knowledge) on what the others are
|> going to do.
|>
|> Bryce Jasmer
|> jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

Inquirary: This is an inivitation to work with these companies or to veiw
software developed by these companies for NeXT? Wasn't clear what this
invitation was for, pardon me if this is something a regular reader should
know, but I'm not a regular reader.

Dale A. Harris          Chaotically Yours,
rodmur@ecst.csuchico.edu  __     __   _    ,
{Internet}               /  )   /  ) ' )  /
                        /  /   /--/   /--/
                       /__/ o /  ( o /  ( o

isaacso@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (08/31/90)

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:

>The Lotus on the first page is actually on the second page and you see it
>through a hole cut out of the first page. When you open it up, here is a
>list of "other industry partners" that you see.

>Coda

>I've heard of most of these and have guesses for what they are going to
>produce (WordPerfect I would assume is going to do a word processor.)
>So does anyone have speculation (or knowledge) on what the others are
>going to do.

Coda is the maker of Finale--the premiere music printing program for
the Mac, with a relatively recent version for the PC.  (They also make
a scaled down version for the Mac called Music Prose.)  I guess I can
safely confirm that they have been doing work on the NeXT, although
I'd be surprised if they had something ready to distribute on the
18th.  Nevertheless, Coda's entry into the NeXT software market will
be a big boost for the machine among musicians not interested in the
types of sound synthesis research already well established on the
machine.

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)      Internet: isaacso@ucs.indiana.edu
School of Music--Indiana Univ.   NeXT Mail: isaacso@bartok.music.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47405          -- I am NOT the author of A86 and other    --
(812) 855-7832(o)/333-1827(h)   -- outstanding software...I wish I were... --

moose@svc.portal.com (08/31/90)

In article <20072@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>I got my invitation today (YIPEE!!!) and whatever it takes to make it
>down to California, I will get there. If I have to crawl, I will bring
>lots of Band-Aids(tm).
>
>Software Ventures
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>-----------
>
>I've heard of most of these and have guesses for what they are going to
>produce (WordPerfect I would assume is going to do a word processor.)
>So does anyone have speculation (or knowledge) on what the others are
>going to do.

How come Software Ventures is last on your list :->.

Software Ventures, I have on very reliable source (me), is going to be
previewing Microphone Cubed for the NeXT.

--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/01/90)

In article <20072@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>I got my invitation today (YIPEE!!!) and whatever it takes to make it
>down to California, I will get there. If I have to crawl, I will bring
>lots of Band-Aids(tm).
>
>I've heard of most of these and have guesses for what they are going to
>produce (WordPerfect I would assume is going to do a word processor.)
>So does anyone have speculation (or knowledge) on what the others are
>going to do.

 I can tell you about RightBrain Software.  We'll be there showing our
 product called TouchType, an application for setting type at large sizes
 with great precision and great ease.  If you'd like any further information
 about the product, please E-mail me, lest I resort to advertising on the
 net.

 Glenn Reid
 RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) (09/07/90)

But could those vendors possibly be complete???  Could NeXT have just
forgotten to add the obvious ones?

Like, where's Franz?

--
 ---- \ / ----	  /--------------------------------------------\  James Bennett Saxon
 ----     ----   <---------------------------------------------/  jsaxon@cssun.tamu.edu

jcz@britten.unx.sas.com (John Carl Zeigler) (09/11/90)

In article <20072@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>
   jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:

>But anyway, the initation goes something like this:
>
>The Lotus on the first page is actually on the second page and you see it
>through a hole cut out of the first page. When you open it up, here is a
>list of "other industry partners" that you see.

>SAS
>-----------

"SAS" refers to the SAS System, a suite of program products produced
by the SAS Institute in Cary NC.    These products are mainstays of
the classical data processing industry on mainframes and minicomputers.

Recently, we have produced both PC and workstation based products.
These latest versions of the SAS System reflect our new directions
in the areas of graphical user interface support and cooperative
processing.

--
John Carl Zeigler            SAS Institute Inc.                (919) 677-8000
Manager, UNIX Host R&D       PoB 8000, Cary, NC 27512         jcz@unx.sas.com