[comp.sys.next] How to obtain nifty nibs?

adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) (09/10/90)

I am building an app in which I would like to include controls
like the nifty scrolland select windows that so many apps use.
Workspace uses them to display files, using little arrow buttons
below to control scrolling.  The OpenPanel uses the same technique.
I would expect there to be a way to 'cut and paste', ie "reuse"
these controls, icons, etc, from somewhere, but can't find where
or how.  I notice that there are a bunch of nib files scattered around
that would include them, but IB won't read them in (ex: /usr/lib/nib).

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (09/11/90)

In article <378@nwnexus.WA.COM> adonis1@nwnexus.WA.COM (Adonis Corporation ) writes:
>I am building an app in which I would like to include controls
>like the nifty scrolland select windows that so many apps use.
>Workspace uses them to display files, using little arrow buttons
>below to control scrolling.  The OpenPanel uses the same technique.

   If I remember, the answer here is "you *can* use NeXT's library code
to do this, but it's undocumented and thus won't work in later versions
of the OS". Instead, you could look at an implementation I've seen on the
archive sites as "BrowseableCell" (.shar.Z I think). If you drag its header
file into your classes window and add the .[hm] to your project, you can
change a CustomView in your .nib to be a BrowserBay (if I'm not mistaken).
You can then do browserlike things with it via objective-C messages. From
what little I've played with it, it looks a lot like the file browsers you
see in the workspace. It's a pretty straightforward application of
scrollviews and matrices ...

--
wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington  | No sig under
(William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W  |||||||| construction