[comp.sys.next] NeXTStep on IBM

morrison@cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (09/13/90)

I have been told by my local IBM rep that NeXTStep is currently available
only on the RS6000 machines running AIX. I was under the impression that
it might also be available on the PS/2s. What is the real scoop on
NeXTStep wrt to mahines and operating systems?

--------------------------
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=137.82.8.20)
(604) 228-5010

ken@dillman.austin.ibm.com (09/13/90)

NextStep has been announced on both the PS/2 and the RiscSystem 6000
hardware.  The availability date for the PS/2 has passed and the 6000
version was announced with availibility this month.

Keep in touch with your IBM marketing representative about announcements
regarding availibility of the NextStep product, but insist that he/she
have or show you published information and not their opinions.

There's good stuff coming as promised; it just isn't here today as you
were led to believe.

________
Ken Dillman       | IBM              | Phone: (512) 838-4804
AIX Porting Center| 11400 Burnet Road| VNET/PROFS: KDILLMAN at AUSTIN
Zip 2830          | Austin, TX  78754| Internet: kdillman@austin.iinus1.ibm.com

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (09/15/90)

In article <9535@ubc-cs.UUCP> morrison@cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) writes:
>I have been told by my local IBM rep that NeXTStep is currently available
>only on the RS6000 machines running AIX. I was under the impression that
>it might also be available on the PS/2s. What is the real scoop on
>NeXTStep wrt to mahines and operating systems?

Ask your friendly neighborhood IBM salesman for a product announcement and
ordering information.  What I heard (rumor?) was that NeXTStep would be
under AIX on PS/2 Models 70 and 80 with the expensive color monitor on
September 28.
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) (09/18/90)

In article <3485@awdprime.UUCP> kdillman@austin.iinus1.ibm.com writes:
>NextStep has been announced on both the PS/2 and the RiscSystem 6000
>hardware.  The availability date for the PS/2 has passed and the 6000
>version was announced with availibility this month.

PS/2 NextStep is available, but needs a special graphics card,
something like the Matrox Megapel monochrome adapter or such.

RS/6000 version will be available 9/28/90.

-Bob Ellefson
bobeson@#spica.ucsc.edu