[comp.sys.next] 256k simms

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (09/13/90)

I can get a few 256k simms from some macs which had their memory upgraded.

I'm thinking about putting 8 of them in my 8 meg NeXT to get 10 meg.

Does anybody know if this will work?

Dan
--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/13/90)

In article <B89PWRJ@cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>I can get a few 256k simms from some macs which had their memory upgraded.
>I'm thinking about putting 8 of them in my 8 meg NeXT to get 10 meg.
>Does anybody know if this will work?

Well, I tried to give my NeXT 13M with four 256K SIMMS from my SE/30.
These were rather unconventional SIMMS, and had "for SE/30 CPU only"
stamped on them.  Assuming that a SIMM was a SIMM and a stamp was
a marketing ploy, I gave it a try.

Pequod decided that the SIMMS were 1M SIMMS, and that they were in a world
of hurt.  After removing them, all was well.  I don't know how normal
SIMMS would work (the SE/30 SIMMS had only 2 chips on a 256K SIMM board).

By the way, putting SIMMS in a NeXT is easy.  Getting them back out
is a whole different story.  There must be a tool out there somewhere
that I don't know about.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

grio@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Daniel L. Grillo) (09/13/90)

In article <B89PWRJ@cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>I can get a few 256k simms from some macs which had their memory upgraded.
>I'm thinking about putting 8 of them in my 8 meg NeXT to get 10 meg.
>Does anybody know if this will work?
>
>Dan
>--
>Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
>UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

With the same idea in mind, I asked NeXT this question a while back.
The answer...

--
Dan Grillo              grio@cs.psu.edu                 *!psuvax1!grio

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (09/14/90)

> By the way, putting SIMMS in a NeXT is easy.  Getting them back out
> is a whole different story.  There must be a tool out there somewhere
> that I don't know about.
> --
> Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
> Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

The NeXT tool does such a good job of this that I have wondered if
the designers chose the screw size just for this reason.

Prying up the outermost simm at an angle pushes the latch just
the right amount.

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (09/19/90)

In article <Fw9pxa02@cs.psu.edu> grio@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Daniel L. Grillo) writes:
>||Cal- will 100ns 256k simms work in the current cube?
>||Dan
>|
>|The answer is:
>|There are two kind of SIMM's: nibble and page mode.  256K nibble mode simm's
>|suppose to work, but not the page mode.  However the industrial standard is
>|page mode (e.g. Apple SIMM's are page mode).  Also I am not aware if anyone
>|in NeXT has ever tested out this support.
>|
>|Carlos Salinas
>|NeXT Technical Support

	Funny, when I issue the "m" command under monitor, I got message
	like "... 4 megs RAM in page mode"... however, these are 1 meg simms.
	Can anybody explain more of these nibble mode/page mode? Thanx.

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao