[comp.sys.next] How can I print 100line text on NeXT printer?

mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP (Taketoshi Mori) (09/17/90)

I have a question. Very simple one.

We are writing a lot of source using workstation(SUN, NeXT, etc).
Then, we became to think if we can printout sourcefile on NeXT printer
with very very small fonts.
First I tried "pr -l100 -w100 filename|lpr", but I got 66line text.
Next  I tried "enscript -L100 filename", but still output was not 100line.

After that, I made printcap np100 which includes pl#100 & pw#100 in it, and
tried to printout, but ...

It seems that '/usr/lib/NextPrinter/npcomm' is doing something, but
there is no information in online documentation.

So please,

1. Tell me how to print out 100line text from Shell or Terminal.
2. Tell me how to use npcomm command and options of it.

Please answer here, the newsgroup or direct e-mail.

------
mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Graduate Student of Tokyo University [JAPAN]

|$@?9(J $@Ip=S(J(Taketoshi Mori)  $@El5~Bg3XBg3X1!9)3X7O8&5f2J>p(J$@Js9)3X@l96(J $@#M#1(J |
|$@")(J113$@El5~ETJ85~6hK\6?(J7-3-1 $@El5~Bg3X9)3XIt5!3#9)3X2J(J $@0f>e!&0pMU8&5f<<(J |
|$@9)3XIt#29f(J$@4[(J 321-E $@>pJs%7%9%F%`9)3X8&5f<<(J    TEL:03-812-2111 ex.7416 |
|JUNET: mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp       tt06508@tecc.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp |

morrison@cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (09/18/90)

This question prompts me to put in a plug for a program called lwf
(laser writer filter) that was written by Barry Brachman of UBC.
It was originally used for printing text files to our apple laser
writers but I use it all the time on the NeXT. I find it better than
enscript for these purposes. It supports n-up, headers, and specification
of font size and indentation. Given the correct
choice of parameters, you should have no difficulty printing
text files at 100 lines/page.

The program is available by anon FTP from cs.ubc.ca in pub/lwf-2.2.shar.Z.
--------------
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=137.82.8.20)
(604) 228-5010

s31898u@kaira.hut.fi (Timo Vendelin) (09/20/90)

In article <MORI.90Sep17171048@eridanus.jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP> mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP (Taketoshi Mori) writes:

>I have a question. Very simple one.
>
>We are writing a lot of source using workstation(SUN, NeXT, etc).
>Then, we became to think if we can printout sourcefile on NeXT printer
>with very very small fonts.
>First I tried "pr -l100 -w100 filename|lpr", but I got 66line text.
>Next  I tried "enscript -L100 filename", but still output was not 100line.

"enscript -r -2 filename" is nice for printing source files. It use
Courier7 font, normaly enscript uses Courier10. If you want to use
different font set it with "-f" flag.

           Timo Vendelin                 s31898u@kaira.hut.fi
                      I wonder what's NeXT ...