[comp.sys.next] NeXT still doesn't have a "home computer" for me

None of the just-announced offerings are FCC-certified as
acceptable for residential use in the USA.

					-=EPS=-

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/19/90)

In article <866@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

   None of the just-announced offerings are FCC-certified as
   acceptable for residential use in the USA.

					   -=EPS=-

Maybe they will be FCC-certified by the time the new NeXTs actually
ship.  Moto. has pushed back the shipping date of the 68040 to late
Oct. or early November(i.e. at best).  I don't suppose NeXT has an
88000 based machine in the works.  The next generation 88000 is
suppose to crank.  Nah, go with the MIPS's line of CPU's.  They need a
little more protection.  Moto.'s been having all kinds of problems
lately.  They could really screw up NeXT!

-Mike

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (09/19/90)

In article <866@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>None of the just-announced offerings are FCC-certified as
>acceptable for residential use in the USA.
>
>					-=EPS=-

They can't be so stupid as to price themselves out of the fairly
big (IMO) home workstation market.  I suspect such approval may
be pending.  I know when a Sun sales sheep talked to our user
group about the SLC, he said that it wasn't home certified (I
forget the FCC class) but that was in the works.  Lets hope
that this is the case with NeXT.
--
Dave Bakken                     Internet: bakken@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Comp. Sci.; U.of Ariz. UUCP:     uunet!arizona!bakken

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (09/21/90)

In article <Fo4.1f52@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
[some stuff deleted]
|Oct. or early November(i.e. at best).  I don't suppose NeXT has an
|88000 based machine in the works.  The next generation 88000 is
|suppose to crank.  Nah, go with the MIPS's line of CPU's.  They need a
|little more protection.  Moto.'s been having all kinds of problems
|lately.  They could really screw up NeXT!

|-Mike

Agreed.  Go with MIPS, NeXT.  IMHO they scale better, have better compilers,
and 64 bits can be yours with an open architecture to boot.  It is arguably
easier to make a MP system with MIPS cpus.  You can get Postscript running
on it (and Display Postscript from the DecStations).

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (09/21/90)

In article <866@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>None of the just-announced offerings are FCC-certified as
>acceptable for residential use in the USA.

Neither is their existing product. Of course, I don't live in the USA.

In actuality, of course, there's no real problem with using a Class A
computing device in a home. You might have a bit of a problem in a
wood-frame apartment building, but it's pretty easy to put a crummy
looking RF shield around it. I quite often have my NeXT and my PC
running at the same time, and have never observed any TV interference or
anything similar.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."

I received a message from a high-ranking NeXT official stating
that
	- their tests indicate that it will pass; they expect no
	  problems
	- the FCC paperwork _is_ in progress

I'm satisfied... no more mail on this, please.

					-=EPS=-