[comp.sys.next] 10baseT & Cheapernet

whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) (09/19/90)

	With the new NeXTs supporting both thin and twisted pair
ethernet it would seem a reasonable to ask if both ports can be
simultaneously active.  Can I use a new NeXT to link a thinwire
network to a twisted pair net?

	Oh, and how about those educational prices?  What are we looking
at for a base NeXTstation slab?
whelan@  (uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu || uhccux.BITNET || nextsrv.wslab.hawaii.edu)

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (09/20/90)

In article <9453@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:

>	With the new NeXTs supporting both thin and twisted pair
>ethernet it would seem a reasonable to ask if both ports can be
>simultaneously active.  Can I use a new NeXT to link a thinwire
>network to a twisted pair net?

According to the NeXT rep. at UT Austin on 09/19/90, the answer is
no - that is, you can configure only one (any one) of the two
Ethernet ports as active.

>	Oh, and how about those educational prices?  What are we looking
>at for a base NeXTstation slab?

The educational price for the $4,995 machine appears to be $3,370.
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) (09/20/90)

whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:
>	With the new NeXTs supporting both thin and twisted pair
>ethernet it would seem a reasonable to ask if both ports can be
>simultaneously active.  Can I use a new NeXT to link a thinwire
>network to a twisted pair net?

No.

>	Oh, and how about those educational prices?  What are we looking
>at for a base NeXTstation slab?

Ut-Austin's Micro store charges $3370 for a NextStation 105/8. Pretty
f*ckin cheap!

Chris

--
"Stab it and steer!"
--

In article <9453@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
	whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jerry Whelan) writes:
>	With the new NeXTs supporting both thin and twisted pair
>ethernet it would seem a reasonable to ask if both ports can be
>simultaneously active.  Can I use a new NeXT to link a thinwire
>network to a twisted pair net?

The answer from last night's BaNG meeting/demonstration was "no."

>	Oh, and how about those educational prices?  What are we looking
>at for a base NeXTstation slab?

It lists for $4995, I don't know of any ed. sites getting less
than a 30% discount.  (Last night) Someone asked how much
students would have to pay (given the horrendous markups some
schools tack on), and a rep from UCLA gave their price.  All I
can say is, I wouldn't be surprised if you-know-who's sales took
a nosedive.  Personally, I wouldn't get one without the optional
340MB internal drive (and the full software release), but the
price is still well within range of people who would otherwise
buy you-know-whats from you-know-who.

					-=EPS=-