[comp.sys.next] Pricing & Workspace Mngr 2.0

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/21/90)

In <Fp1nw$62@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Why doesn't NeXT offer machines w/o the 105 Mb drive and sell them for
>$500 less?  A network of NeXT's would only require the 40 meg hard
>drive for swapping on each machine.  I think it's still going to be a

Well, I heard from a friend that was at a meeting with the local campus
rep for NeXT that they do not plan on making diskless workstations,
except for special reasons.  I don't know all the reasons, but that's
what he's quoted as saying.

>and the PC just won't go away.  Besides, the NeXT's are still priced
>out of the average college student's market.  In fact they are still
>priced out of the home user's market.  Networks of NeXTs on college
>campuses and in corporate America are where they are going to sell, so
>the 105 meg. drives won't be needed.

Well, swap space might be nice on the local machine.

But anyways, as for pricing, the NeXT rep told me (first hand) that they
believed that they could get the NeXTStations for UNDER $3000!!!  Not
bad!  Especially comparing it to Sun Sparcstation SLC, and PC's/Mac's.
I think this has to do with quantity bought and other factors too.
Another NeXT guru (Gerrit) had told me that they might be offered for
$3300, depending on quantity of course.  Now if somebody would just give
out a price list for the Cube, and all the other options.

As far as Workspace Mngr 2.0 and the new software.  I just got back from
seeing this stuff on the NeXT rep's '030 machine.  Very nice
improvement!  Login times look to be halved at least, and the new
browser allows you to place 'links' to often used directories/
applications in a seperate window above the selection area of the
browser.  Edit has a LOT of nice new features, especially for
programming.  You can compress code between two points (between braces
was what we were doing, I don't know if you can specify just any two
points), so that you could just see the procedure names, or you could
compress, say, the code in a for loop to get it out of the way.  Icon
(?) was VERY slick!  Lots of options all over the place, a lot of which
you could tell had color in mind.  Pretty slick stuff.

So where do I sign up to buy a NeXTDimension Cube??

-k