[comp.sys.next] NeXTstep look and feel

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (09/21/90)

In article <26590@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
> In article <92180@srcsip.UUCP> engstrom@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Eric Engstrom) writes:
> >> [stuff about how X is being done on the NeXT - deleted...]
> >

> >Sounds good, but I've got a question...
.  .  .
> While I agree the NeXTStep is a nice GUI, what I don't think you understand
> is the flexibility of X window.  The "look" and behavior (window border,
> gadgets, pop-up window, etc.) are all aspects of the X window _manager_,
> which can be anything one desires (eg: twm, uwm, motif, openlook, etc.).
> So I'm sure than someone could make a NeXTStepesque window manager to work
> pretty much like it does now (although it would most likely be a bit slower).

Actually, I was at the X conference in Boston in January
and Brad Myer of CMU demoed Garnet, his testbed programming
environment. As part of this work, his students prepared
several "looks" to run under Xwindows, including a
reasonable approximation of NeXTstep (buttons, sliders,
the works!). I seem to recall this was to show off the
portion of the project that allowed users to configure GUI
interfaces. He made some joke about not wanting to be sued so
it's not available. Still, if you don't distrbute, you can
build it yourself. That's what makes X so valuable.
"mechanism, not policy". It can be "messy, not polite" but
it can do a lot.

> The X window _server_ is what is common to all X window setups -- it's the
> device that lets you communicate with X window clients (X window applications)
> and other X window servers.  This brings up a very neat concept of X -- the
> idea that all X terminals are "equivalent" such that you can open a window
> on any other X terminal (as long as you have permission).  This is quite
> handy when you want to show a window to someone remotely for their
> pursal.  The flexibility and gererality of X makes it a Good Thing.

Further on this. We have a BBN parallel machine, which has
a very nifty parallel debugger. Any workstation _RUNNING X_
can run this debugger, with the display on the
workstation and the debugger on the BBN. Students can see
graphically the actual timing of code firings, etc. Great
for detecting timing dependent bugs, parallel execution
etc.

Now, this functionality is theoretically available in
NeXTstep, but it will be some time (if ever) before BBN
ports their debugger to NeXTstep. Why should they? They
already have 99 percent of the workstation market covered
now, with no recoding. Open the display, run debugger, go.

That's why the world went with a standard.

I think it was Dennis Ritchie who said "Steve Jobs has
said that Xwindows is brain-damaged and will disappear in
five years. He got it half right."

			- peterd

^X ^I .signature

+-------+ 	Peter Deutsch		McGill University
| u # u |	peterd@cs.mcgill.ca	School of Computer Science
|/\/\/\/|
|  a a  |	"From MAILER-DAEMON@hq.demos.su Thu Sep 13 00:45:55 MSD 1990"
 \  a  /
  \___/         The day we made contact....

Look! I can type after the signature!